Fall Colors

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Fall Colors

Post by maverick »

They are at peak or will peak this week at some of the prime locations. https://www.californiafallcolor.com/
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Fall Colors

Post by c9h13no3 »

The aspen grove at Tioga pass ~9000’ was near peak this weekend. Fall seems right on schedule.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

I haven't done a fall Eastern Sierra trip since 2019 due to the pandemic, droughty conditions, and gas prices, so haven't plans for this year though there is one small grove that I've been wanting to work again that may tempt. That would be a gamble since it a small obscure area I don't expect to ever see reports on. That area was actually best I've seen over decades mid October during the 2015 drought year. So if those areas continue to receive warm balmy days with cool nights (good for reds and oranges) without any cold leaf blackening storms as has been the last month since that big tropical storm, I just may gamble.

Otherwise have been catching up on post processing months of work I couldn't do because using my computer mouse aggravated my right shoulder cuff injury tendonitis. In a few weeks my website ought be caught up.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Dave,

With OPEC announcing a major cut in oil production today, you better go up before regular gas is above $7 a gallon.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ironmike
Topix Regular

Post by ironmike »

There is an issue with the CA fall colors website. Looks like their web server certificate has been hijacked(?). Anyone else having trouble pulling it up?
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

I continued to load www.californiafallcolor.com in spite of the warning from the browser that authenticity could not be confirmed, but then all I got was a "page not found" error. So looks like the whole site is down. Too bad, I just checked it a couple days ago.
-Phil
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Mono County tourism’s Facebook page & website is usually a good resource. In past years they put out a weekly report on Wednesday.

https://www.monocounty.org/things-to-do ... LsEALw_wcB
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Site is back up. :nod:

wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Re: Fall Colors - North Canyon, east side Lake Tahoe

Post by wildhiker »

Great aspen color now in North Canyon, in Lake Tahoe Nevada State Park on the east side of Lake Tahoe. We hiked a loop there on Saturday, Oct 15, up the Marlette Lake trail on the west slopes of the canyon and back down the fire road that runs mostly on the east side near the creek. Overall, more color on the fire road, but some very nice groves along the trail as well. Still a lot of groves that were all green, and only a few trees had lost their leaves, so I'd say conditions are "near peak" and color will probably peak next weekend (Oct 22-23) if the weather stays stable.
-Phil
IMG_6369-first-big-grove-half-mile-from-trailhead.jpg
IMG_6394-about-2-miles-up-Marlette-Lake-trail.jpg
IMG_6402-view-down-canyon-to-Lake-Tahoe-from-Snow-Valley-Peak-jeep-trail.jpg
IMG_6417-up-to-Snow-Valley-Peak-near-mile-3-on-fire-road.jpg
IMG_6434-about-mile-1-on-fire-road.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

I spent the season climbing at home this year for the first time in a long time.
20221007_103257.jpg
20221015_140016.jpg
20221015_140130.jpg
20221015_140231.jpg
20221015_140439.jpg
20221015_140802.jpg
20221015_141848.jpg
20221015_142944.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.