Duck Pass TH (Lake Mary loop closing date?)

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Duck Pass TH (Lake Mary loop closing date?)

Post by commonloon »

Hi all...

I'm thinking about a hike late October weather permitting. I'd be exiting Oct 30. I've been googling, attempting to determine when the Lake Mary loop, i.e. access to the Duck Pass TH, is typically closed. I'd like to park at the TH. I've done hikes out of Horseshoe lakes this time of year, but I seem to remember sometimes the road is closed just before the lake... but I maybe I'm thinking of spring.

Can anyone help with this? Thanks!!
Last edited by commonloon on Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Re: Duck Pass TH (Lake Mary loop closing date?)

Post by commonloon »

Only thing I've found is closing 1st big snow storm. So, I should be fine unless we get a forecast for an early big storm. I will double check with the ranger station... hope this helps someone else.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Where to from there commonloon? Miles and miles?
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Harlen wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:26 pm Where to from there commonloon? Miles and miles?
I only have about 3 days and not so much day light, so looking at route options between 50 and 90 :D

Maybe south into the Mono creek drainage then some x-country passes then Mt Isaak Walton (NE ridge), or maybe a little further south and then back thru a Recess. I want to include some new stuff, so scheming now. I may need to reduce the mileage a bit to get in the new stuff.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

commonloon wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:34 am Only thing I've found is closing 1st big snow storm. So, I should be fine unless we get a forecast for an early big storm. I will double check with the ranger station... hope this helps someone else.
I've skied in a storm from the lower Twin lake. So if you park there, you'll surely get your car back. Dunno about overnight tho.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

c9h13no3 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:13 pm I've skied in a storm from the lower Twin lake. So if you park there, you'll surely get your car back. Dunno about overnight tho.
Thanks @c9h13no3