making copies of trip reports

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

making copies of trip reports

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There are a few trip reports I would like to have copies of in my files for future reference. Is there a way to "copy/paste" from the forum to my computer? Or do a screen shot? Or a pdf?

or is this even allowed?
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: making copies of trip reports

Post by Shawn »

Hey WD,

I realize your question wasn't intended for me, none the less here is one way to save your TR's.

I'm using Windows 7 -

If you go to one of your TR's then right click on a blank space on the page, one of the options should be "save as". Select the default (HTML) and save it to a known location of your hard drive. All of the text and photos from the thread will be save and then to clean it up you'll have to edit out the obvious items that don't belong in your TR.

For example, the HTML file can be opened with MS-Word which allows for easy editing. Once done the file can be saved again as a Word doc, PDF and so on.

Just food for thought (and all your TR's are awesome!).
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Shawn wrote:
If you go to one of your TR's then right click on a blank space on the page, one of the options should be "save as". Select the default (HTML) and save it to a known location of your hard drive. All of the text and photos from the thread will be save and then to clean it up you'll have to edit out the obvious items that don't belong in your TR.

For example, the HTML file can be opened with MS-Word which allows for easy editing. Once done the file can be saved again as a Word doc, PDF and so on.
Shawn, this is very helpful-- It works! My difficulty is deleting the extraneous stuff--no luck so far. How exactly does one open the HTML file with MS-Word? If you choose to try to describe this procedure to me, speak as if to a small child. I am a techno-peasant. Thanks, Ian
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Hey Harlen,

Well I'm using an older version of MS-Word, but I think it should work fine with more recent versions.

After saving the TR as described to a known file location, then -
1. Using the Word main menu select "open"
2. Navigate to the location on your hard drive where the file was saved (e.g.C:/MyDirectory/ "Harlens' amazing trip.html")
3. Select open (or right click the file and select open)
4. You may see a dialog box describing some errors (these are mostly formatting errors), select OK
5. Word will now display the entire thread with all of the menu items and other needed stuff that isn't part of the base TR.
6. Delete the unneeded stuff by copying over it with your mouse and "cut" or delete it as needed.
7. Some HTML graphics need to be right clicked and deleted.

Thanks for the smile with your amazing and colorful choice of words!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

A much faster way is to save the page as HTML as Shawn mentioned, then go to https://www.striphtml.com/ and drop your file in the box and it will strip all of the HTML for you. You can then copy text you want and paste it in a word processor of your choice.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Thanks Jim, still trying.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

I just select the content I wish to export from HST, and paste into Word. This approach eliminates dealing with almost all of the HST web page content and graphics that are extraneous to the trip report content. The detailed nature of these instructions make this approach appear tedious, but it is actually very straight forward and efficient.
  1. Select the applicable HST content. You can select partial or entire text sections, images, hyperlinks, etc. You can select all applicable content in HST using just one select operation, or choose to iteratively carry out the select/copy/paste operation working with smaller sections of HST content. Designate content you wish to copy by dragging the cursor over applicable HST content, or double clicking the cursor on the start (or end) of the applicable HST content, then using then Select command (Shift+holding down an arrow key) to designate HST content you wish to copy.
  2. Copy the selected content, using the Copy command (CTL+C).
  3. Open a new (or existing) document in Word.
  4. Paste selected content into the Word document. Place the cursor where you want the copied content to be inserted, and use the Paste command (CTL+V).
  5. Hyperlinks imported to Word from HST can be launched from Word, using Open link command (CTL+click). You may also inspect the hyperlink for address information, or edit the hyperlink address by right clicking on the text that identifies the hyperlink in the Word document.
  6. The imported HST content will include extraneous HST style formatting (e.g colored text and text background color, etc); however, these attributes can be edited using the format and style tools of Word.
  7. Name and save the Word file. The result will be saved with the Word ".doc" file type as the default, unless you indicate otherwise.
I referred to the Copy and Paste content commands, and the Open and Edit hyperlink commands by their shortcut keys, but you can also use Right-click to select these commands from a menu box, or select these commands from the menu bars of Word and your browser.

HST content that runs for several pages will require multiple cut/paste operations to transfer onto Word.

Ed
Last edited by Gogd on Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like soloing with friends.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Thanks! It worked fine for my purpose. I am cleaning up and archiving 20 years of computer files and was missing some trip reports. Must have accidently deleted them. The copy/paste method works fine for me.
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

Using Safari you can save a web page as a pdf using File > Export as PDF. You can then print it out, copy to a phone, etc easily once it's on your computer. Every major browser should have a third party extension that will do this, and I find it more useful than Firefox's built in scrolling screenshot functionality.

I'll do that occasionally for a cross country pass entry I'm concerned about / has some specific route finding notes.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

If it is your own trip report, you can go into "edit" and then copy/paste into Word- you get text and the photo labels.