UGQ Down Quilts or "Sleeping Bags" - Any comments?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: UGQ Down Quilts or "Sleeping Bags" - Any comments?

Post by michaelzim »

Daisy

I hear you re the hood and draft collar if it gets really cold, but I plain do not like the whole hood setup covering my face. Never have.
I use a wool beanie/ski cap to keep my head warm and if feel cold bury myself down in the bag more. It is not my head that feels cold (though I know heat is lost that way big time) but rather my feet and lower body mostly. With wool socks on that usually takes care of the issue if it is not super cold which is when I can feel the cold coming through my 20 degree bag all the way down...By keeping motionless I stay warmer.

I'm hoping this new 0 degree bag will prevent the latter, of giving me body warmth when I push more into spring and fall and get into a colder than expected temperatures.

Oh, the bag does have a super thick and fluffy draft collar that is bigger and fluffier than it looks in the photo. At first I was shocked at how big it was as it can cover half my face easily. Then with home trial realized I can just scoot up a bit and don't have it in my face at all.
Ummmm...you can maybe gather by now that I do not like my face covered when I sleep. Ha, ha...Our individual quirks.

Best ~ Michaelzim