Snowing in Tuolumne Meadows, Hwy 120?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Snowing in Tuolumne Meadows, Hwy 120?

Post by Harlen »

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... rE6Qujwa70

Looks like a cold storm right about now--night time temperature around zero tonight and tomorrow, and then more stormy weather beginning this weekend. I wonder if we cold-loving folks can still drive up 120. Does anyone know if Hwy 120 is closed?........ I checked the Caltrans road conditions site and got this:

SR 120
[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA]
IS CLOSED FROM CRANE FLAT TO 3 MI WEST OF THE JCT OF US 395 /TIOGA PASS/ (TUOLUMNE, MONO CO) - DUE TO AN INCOMING STORM - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE.

I wonder if that will be it for the season? Time to tune up your skis.

100_0285 (2).JPG
Tuolumne Pass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Snowing in Tuolumne Meadows, Hwy 120?

Post by c9h13no3 »

I'd bet $500 that it's closed for the season. And with the storms coming this weekend, I bet all the passes are done.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I would not give up on Tioga Pass just yet. Historic records last 21 years, avg closing Nov 14. The only years it closed before Nov 4 were 2008m 2004 and 2003. You may be able to squeeze in one more week or two. Although cold, the forecasted snow is not supposed to be excessively deep. And if it warms up after the current little storms, it could melt and they may reopen it. I remember once it was closed for some time and then they opened it in December. We were in J-Tree climbing and hit the open window. It was a real treat to drive it in the winter.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Well C9, it is good I did not actually take your bet! It looks like the storms starting tomorrow will probably shut down Tioga, if not Sonora Pass too. I just hope the early snow this year is not followed by a dry spell like it was last year.