TR: Day Trips with Wildlife in the Canadian Rockies: 9/7 - 9/12 / 2022

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Day Trips with Wildlife in the Canadian Rockies: 9/7 - 9/12 / 2022

Post by Harlen »

I think it may require that extra bit of planning to be assured of a site. We got the sense that it was still very crowded, and we were also there in late Aug. early Sept. That is one reason we continued with our "guerilla camping'" M.O.

For instance, we were told that to get a parking place up at Moraine Lake, we'd have to be persistent, and lucky. So many photographers camp out up there in the parking lot. As it turned out, we decided to drive up there in the early morning hours, ~2AM, and when we arrived at the base of the road to Moraine Lake, there was a barrier across it, with a guard monitoring traffic. We only got in when a car came out, and the guard was still reluctant. They must be in radio contact with another staff person at the P. lot, because sure enough, there was really only half a spot open. We squeezed in, and slept a few hours up there along with a hundred other people also sleeping in their cars. This is perhaps quasi-legal- don't know?

Whether the campground spaces are equally tough to get is another thing we never tried, since we had the van. We didn't try to book anything ahead of time, but I reckon it may be necessary. Wandering Daisy, how did your time in the parks on the north and west sides of the Rockies compare with Banff and Jasper? Was it a lot quieter? I too am dead keen to see the Bugaboo Spires, but that was one of the Provincial Parks which did not allow dogs
Last edited by Harlen on Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I was in the Bugaboos about 45 years ago. It was so different then! Getting across the border was easy, they often would just wave you through. What was odd to me was we had to drive 25 miles of horrible logging roads, and then around the last bend was this luxury lodge. They do heli-skiing out of there and that is big $$ tourism. There is a trail to the hut, but we just camped outside the hut in our tent. It was full when we got there. We came back an odd ball off-trail route- Definitely NOT recommended. Better to stay on the trails- otherwise bushwhacking deluxe. The weather was its usual horrible stuff so we could not get onto the snow or far into see the peaks. It was only an overnight. Old dirty slides- poor quality. I would guess some glacier melting since then- about 1978 give or take a year.

But yes, the Selkirks are generally less crowded. Rock and mountains are also different. There are some good guidebooks that we have that have more recent information.

81_Bugaboo_02.jpg
81_Bugaboo_08_edited-1.jpg
81_Bugaboo_01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grampy
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

Harlen -
What a beautiful trip ! I definitely need to save a link to this report; my wife already wants me to drive her to that area, and this will sway her to yet more insistence on a visit. Yes, it would be a long drive for us, but not insanely far, and would seem a natural add-on if we were already headed to WY and/or MT. I would, however, feel more comfortable if I did some pre-trip investigating on campgrounds (or dispersed camping areas) before heading there.
Sorry you weren’t able to pet any Grizzlies, but at at least you had a fine-looking Bear (and a Wolf) with you :nod:

Also, I can’t picture you riding a bull Moose, but could perhaps see you riding a very large Elk -
https://flic.kr/p/2o4kDvU
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

grampy writes;
Also, I can’t picture you riding a bull Moose, but could perhaps see you riding a very large Elk -
https://flic.kr/p/2o4kDvU
Yes, that's me grampy, back when I was King.
Thank you for the comments, and I hope your wife drags you up there.

p.s. From my stealthy lurk thru yer flickr, I see you're holding out on us. Cool trips to Miter and Center Basins, Deadman, and on!! Loved the pics of YNP in fall colors. What great TR's those would be grampy! Sorry for the lurking, but you started it-- how'd you know I was the Elk King?
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
grampy
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

Harlen -
No, I don’t mind the lurking. As for holding out on TRs, I did indeed post Miter Basin (2021) and Deadman Canyon (2019); maybe I’ll do one for C.B. at some point.