Constantly logged out of forum

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
erutan
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Constantly logged out of forum

Post by erutan »

I assume there's some of kind IP address blacklist plugin, but it's overly aggressive IMO. I can understand banning someone using a VPN (while it's a reasonable precaution when using public WiFi if you have a reputable service, they can be used by spammers and other bad actors) but in this day and age it's pretty common for people to use a cellular connection to view websites...

I'll often get logged out immediately after logging in, get logged out as a post is loading, get logged out while I'm writing a post (I've learned to copy whatever I'm writing before hitting submit), etc. This issue isn't unique to me as others have mentioned they are basically unable to comment on the site while on mobile.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Re: Constantly logged out of forum

Post by copeg »

I have made an adjustment on backend. Let us know if this has any affect
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

It seems to be working a bit better - I move networks quite a lot when working on the road (libraries, cafes, commercial cellular router, phone hotspot, etc) so sometimes it'll aggressively log me out every few minutes and other times I'll be stable for days. I'll let you know over time if it seems better.
JessieTerry
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by JessieTerry »

erutan wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:37 am I assume there's some of kind IP address blacklist plugin, but it's overly aggressive IMO. I can understand banning someone using a VPN (while it's a reasonable precaution when using public WiFi if you have a reputable service, they can be used by spammers and other bad actors) but in this day and age it's pretty common for people to use a cellular connection to view websites...

I'll often get logged out immediately after logging in, get logged out as a post is loading, get logged out while I'm writing a post (I've learned to copy whatever I'm writing before hitting submit), etc. This issue isn't unique to me as others have mentioned they are basically unable to comment on the site while on mobile.
If you want to find the AI ​​Mirror Mod APK Premium Unlocked application, the getmodnow website will meet your needs even if you don't have to worry at all.
Using VPNs can indeed be a common practice for spammers and malicious actors, which is why some websites choose to ban users using VPN services. However, relying solely on IP address blacklisting without considering legitimate use cases can lead to issues for users who rely on cellular connections to access websites.
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

It's happening again, got logged out as the forum was loading this morning, and had the same thing happen last evening. It'll partially load information and have me log in again.

VPNs and VPN like services are also becoming more ubiquitous - many Apple users will have one on by default with the advent of Private Relay.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/102602
copeg

Post by copeg »

Only so much I can tinker with on backend, but made a small change to cookie settings. We'll see how they behave from here on out
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

So far it's been better.