Bag hunt

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
sbennett3705
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Bag hunt

Post by sbennett3705 »

I’m looking for a new sleeping bag for 3 season use, mostly at altitude. I’m a cold sleeper, and a side sleeper, so I’m thinking a 10-20 degree bag with more generous shoulder dimensions. I filtered my search to five bags and put the specs in a spreadsheet, then heat mapped the results. Seeing the cost per oz. fill gives an interesting view of overall value. I’m favoring the FF Raven, comments welcome! Am I missing any gems? (Sorry, quilts not considered. I know, I’m not cool.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Re: Bag hunt

Post by kpeter »

I have the Western Mountaineering Ultralite, not the Alpinlite. It is extremely well made and I love the zipper, which never snags. It is not a roomy bag, but that is the point. I no longer remember the difference between the Ultralite and the Alpinlite.

Many on this board will recommend various quilts. They almost persuaded me, but I chickened out. After two years I am thus far happy with my choice. Also, there is a board member here who can get substantial discounts on some bags. Hopefully that member will PM you to determine your interest.

This was my thread about the same question:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20352
sbennett3705
Topix Acquainted

Post by sbennett3705 »

Thanks kpeter. Seems the ultralite is a step up from the alpenlite. Beautiful bag, heard their zippers are bomb proof, but it’s too narrow for me unfortunately. I’m open to any discounts, prices have gone up recently….
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

I've had a WM Alpenlite for for I think 4yrs now and love it. The zippers are incredible. But so is the rest of the bag.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

I too have a WM Ultralite; love it even when warmer, just leave it unzipped. Also a EE 20* quilt, like it very much.
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

Well, you can see that I went through a similar process last fall and ended up with a UGQ "bag"...The full zipper makes it pretty much the same as a sleeping bag though technically it is a quilt. You can also get them made with a 3/4 length zipper and fully enclosed footbox, so basically a sleeping bag. I just looked at the "wide" 20 degree 800 fill Outlaw price with the added $25 for the 3/4 zipper option and it pulled up at $379.95, so maybe you could check out their offerings. Price will go up with added extras of course but I'm guessing will be very competitive with what you are looking at...I have not used my new UGQ yet (I'm not a winter camper) but build quality is great.

I sleep cold too and found my 20 degree EE bag was not warm enough for 32 degrees outside even in a tent. So I got the zero degrees UGQ. I would figure looking at a minimum of 20 degree 'colder differential' on the degree rating of a bag.

Pity you did not do the bag thing in November re prices as those Black Friday sales are really big savers on high priced items like this. However, I would suggest giving a phone-call to the company you choose (if a custom company) and asking if they have discounts in play. I think UGQ gives a standard 10% off for example if you sign up for their occasional newsletter - which you can promptly "unsubscribe", though I have received nothing from it yet so you don't get much inbox stuff at all.

Best ~ Michaelzim
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Either get the FF Raven and don`t look back, or add the WM versalite to your list and decide between those two. Both superb quality.
sbennett3705
Topix Acquainted

Post by sbennett3705 »

Agree paul, it's down to the FF Raven or WM Versalite. The Versalite wins on weight, stitching, zipper and HST popularity (way more mentions). The Raven wins on space, fill quality, shell durability, fill weight and value. I think I'll go with the Raven and live with the slight weight penalty. Thanks to all for your views, what a great site.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by CAMERONM »

Well I have owned a Versalite for years, and yes, it is a great bag, but I am sometimes cold, particularly with the shoulder-season hiking I do.
If your primary concern is warmth, not price, weight or bulk, your tables do not reveal the number one concern which is loft height. Does not matter what fill type, higher loft is warmer. My Versalite is about 3", and I think I need to go to 3 1/2"
The second big concern is bag size relative to your body. I am thin and the Versalite is too roomy for me. Extra room in a bag means more cold air you have to warm.
I have found that one can indeed adjust warmth by shaking and pushing down to the topside, and in doing so I can increase down loft height and eliminate cold spots.
I have been considering modifying my bag by narrowing it, thus reducing cold areas and jamming the down into a tighter area. I am also considering lopping off the hood and using a down balaclava instead, essentially turning it into a quilt. I am a toss and turn side sleeper, and that constant toss and turn action is easier with a balaclava. The collar on the Versalite is substantial enough.
WM bags are ubiquitous. I met a woman on the JMT who also had a WM bag, and the two bags zipped together nicely for ten days...
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

CAMERONM wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:24 am

The second big concern is bag size relative to your body. I am thin and the Versalite is too roomy for me. Extra room in a bag means more cold air you have to warm.
I have found that one can indeed adjust warmth by shaking and pushing down to the topside, and in doing so I can increase down loft height and eliminate cold spots.
I have been considering modifying my bag by narrowing it, thus reducing cold areas and jamming the down into a tighter area. I am also considering lopping off the hood and using a down balaclava instead, essentially turning it into a quilt. I am a toss and turn side sleeper, and that constant toss and turn action is easier with a balaclava. The collar on the Versalite is substantial enough.
I too am a long time Versatile owner who is thin and sleeps cold and considered also removing the hood and even contacted WM to do that...they wouldn't. Rather than invest in lots of tailoring I purchased a good pair of down pants and down sweater to wear inside the bag since the bag volume is generous enough to wear the down without it getting compressed. Works great for quilts too. The added benefit is better comfort after the sun goes down in camp and getting out of the bag on cold mornings.
The way I interpret bag ratings for comfort is to add 20 degrees to it. Just because they say 10 degrees doesn't mean you will be toasty warm at that temperature!
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien