My story on the search for Matthew Greene

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
narkj
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

My story on the search for Matthew Greene

Post by narkj »

I spent 8 years trying to write this story and had to sort through a lot of emotional baggage to get to the point. Wanted to thank Peter "Maverick" Agoston, Dean Rosnau, Dave Ayers and all the other searchers I met out there. The beauty of the Sierra has stayed with me. Click on link below

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web23w/wfea ... AQm-5H1bY
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: My story on the search for Matthew Greene

Post by wildhiker »

What a beautiful story! Thank you for your honesty and sensitivity.
-Phil
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Thanks so much for sharing this.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'm unsure why this matters anymore. Remember QuentinC? Found a shoe and a bit of bone. I'm wondering why there is so much focus on a missing solo hiker. don't do that. I'm not jaded, but if you don't find the body in the first year, gone. Animals are incredible at cleaning up.
Solo is a choice and one has to be careful.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

rlown wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:33 pm I'm unsure why this matters anymore. Remember QuentinC? Found a shoe and a bit of bone. I'm wondering why there is so much focus on a missing solo hiker. don't do that. I'm not jaded, but if you don't find the body in the first year, gone. Animals are incredible at cleaning up.
Solo is a choice and one has to be careful.
why it matters is in the second sentence of the article. I copy and paste it here.

"They looked for a small thing to place in a grave, a way for his family to say goodbye"
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I've never understood the need for closure. I choose to remember a person as they lived. Mom was cremated; Home hospice was messy. Didn't ask for ashes. Friends and family all around me are dying. I don't focus on the end of life as it is generally messy.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

I've never understood the need for closure. I choose to remember a person as they lived. ... I don't focus on the end of life as it is generally messy.
Russ, I understand what you're saying, and with my Dad's difficult death, as you say, it's best for us to try to remember his whole life, along with the last years. However, don't you think it would feel different for friends and family--parents especially, when it's a young person who dies in the prime of life?

That's the tragic, and compelling story here with Matthew Greene. Were he a child of mine, I too would want to find out how and where he died. As long as I hear that it's important to the family, I will be keen to help search for Matt's bones.

Perhaps they'll be found in one of these beautiful places:

100_2560.JPG

100_2548.JPG

100_2547.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Not really. Celebrate the life choice to be out there. Just know he is in a better place by his own choice.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

rlown wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:01 pm I've never understood the need for closure. I choose to remember a person as they lived. Mom was cremated; Home hospice was messy. Didn't ask for ashes. Friends and family all around me are dying. I don't focus on the end of life as it is generally messy.
Your opinions are not reflected by all. Many cultures around the world process death differently. It's important to be respectful towards others' grieving process, lest you come off as an :moon:
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

closure concept doesn't bring them back. Just remember the good times.