New camera suggestions

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: New camera suggestions

Post by CAMERONM »

I recommend that you consider the iphone 14 pro. I have always used iphones in the mountains as they are multi-purpose, but the 14 pro steps things up considerably with a larger sensor and native RAW, so I now consider it a "true" camera. I did some casual side-by-side comparisons with my Sony RX 100 and was astounded by both detail and the latitude of the RAW files. My photoshop is wonky now but here are some side by sides, with the iphone left and sony on the right. Note how well the iphone handled the very challenging light of the beach:
Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 3.48.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 3.50.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 3.51.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 3.54.34 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

@CAMERONM Thank you so much! I will have to show my son who is just dying to get an iPhone 14. However, for me, I still will not be taking the fragile iPhone out to the wilderness. I care for my gear, but I have knocked my camera on rocks from time to time and it has been just fine. I also have exposed it to light rain and below freezing temps. I just do not believe the iPhone will hold up to that. (Especially the below freezing temps.) Finally, I really need a view finder.
I found the Sony 99 at Best Buy and, when I have time, I will take a look at it. It is the same 8.5 oz as mine and should have a better sensor.
@michaelzim I know it is only 3 oz, but I would rather have 3 more oz of down in my jacket or a bigger dinner. (I never bring enough food since I want to have minimum pack weight.)
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

LTS/Aura

Was that a typo re the camera you got? A Sony 99 (or A9) is a full frame mirrorless camera - indeed claimed to be the lightest but still 28 oz. just for the "body" I believe. Even if it was with a lens it would still be 20 ounces over your sweet spot.
Ummmmm...can you "correct" this as to what camera you are referring to? Ta.

Ha, ha. Well yes, I would take less food for more camera...within limits!

Like you too I cannot see diddly of those screens without reading glasses on so I too need a good viewfinder. If I were to dig out my glasses every time I wanted to take a photo there would be a lot less photos - which is one of the huge upsides of digital photography. Blast away when at a sweet shoot then cull like crazy when at home.

Not to hijack here, but Cameron, were both cameras on RAW in your side by side shots? If so, did you do "no after processing" of the RAW images to do the comparisons? Not trying to be a smart-arse or a "critic" here, but just thought that RAW was pretty raw without post processing!? Thus if process, can it not become sort of subjective maybe if each is tweaked a bit differently??? Again, please excuse my ignorance, but is stemming from the amazement I have for iPhone pics I see = generally outstanding.

Like LTS though, I (so far) also take no electronics into the hills other than my camera so mainly photography interest in my query.

Best ~ Michaelzim
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

@michaelzim HX99 and I did not buy it, I am going to look at it.
If it ends up 28 or, NO WAY, I will buy it.
Since both of you, and maybe all of you, are doing a ton of post processing, maybe my camera is not so bad? Other than reducing the size for this group, I do no processing at all. I just do not have time.
@CAMERONM is that McGrath State Park in Ventura? Are we neighbors?
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

Aura

~ Maybe the HX99 has a better "mechanical setup" viewfinder than the HX80. If so it could be a real winner as indeed is just 8.5 ounces!

~ I do not do much post processing at all. The RX100 seems to get it right more often than not. If I fiddle it is mostly to crop and re-frame slightly and on occasion see if the light/dark needs adjusting. More than that it gets too time consuming for not much improvement on the "au naturel" version.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by CAMERONM »

Photos from both were shot in RAW, so they inherently had some form of processing, even if automated.
To be clear, it is the iPhone 14Pro models that are so good, not the standard 14. It is indeed a $1200. computer, but robust.
I was having frequent lens flare issue with the 11, which seem more tamed with the 14 Pro.
Once you get into the weeds, there is more info to play with with the Sony, but shockingly less so than I would have imagined.
There are some other caveats, like I don't think the long lens is so great. But then again, the RX100 gets soft when long as well, but has more magnification.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Thanks so much to both of you!
I ordered the HX99 from Amazon and will shoot side by side with my old LUMIX and I will post. Since it was Prme, I can return it if it si not better than my LUMIX. that camera has been trouble free for thousands of miles and it sounds like the Sony will have to give me very superior pics to beat it out.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Hi everyone,
I finally got the Sony hx99. So far, I have been putting it through its paces vs my old LUMIX and WOW!! Hopefully, I will post pic’s tomorrow.
@michaelaim, @sssdave and @CAMERONM, thank you all so much.
I think that I Amin love with the little camera! I have no place near me to try water in sunlight, the most difficult task of all fo RMD LUMIX, but otherwise, it has done great capturing landscapes in the far horizon and up close, a bee in a poppy It was not as good on the LUMIX on the gorgeous sunrise colors, but I think that I can override some settings to get good sunrise and sunset pics. The lumix did an incredible job with sunrises and sunsets.
Aura
cmon4day
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by cmon4day »

DP Review is closing down on April 10th. That’s too bad as I’ve spent many hours researching cameras.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Indeed an immense loss to photographic enthusiasts though am not one that posts often. Most of my postings there over the last few years have been to try and get manufacturers interest in large 8k pc exhibition monitors for photographers instead of just 8k TVs and gaming platforms. The least responsible Amazon ought do is archive parts of it, especially gear testing, so data can be revived when needed in the future.