Anyone here ever had a VIZSLA?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Anyone here ever had a VIZSLA?

Post by rlown »

I'm looking into getting one. I don't introduce a new dog to an old dog. I have a rescue yellow lab at about 14 yrs old. I'm planning a move to North of Crescent city near lake Earl. Beach is 1.5 miles away so the Vizsla can run twice a day easily. I'm thinking about going the rescue way again.

Thoughts?
Gogd
Topix Expert

Re: Anyone here ever had a VIZSLA?

Post by Gogd »

The breed, as reviewed: https://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/vizsla#/slide/1 This is an accurate description of the breed, IMO

I've always like the hunter dog look of this breed, a real K9 pal. If you still hunt, a vizla is up to the task. The big plus/minus for us geezers: needs lots of exercise. Very true. It may be the perfect motivation to get your daily walk in, or end up being another demand that is exhausting, depending on your own vitality/mobility. The barking thing may be an issue, too, depending on the level of activities occurring near your residence. It'll need companionship, so if you are away from doggie for extended periods, they'll need another dog for company, else be unhappy. The exercise thing works for me, but I live in suburbia with all of its commotion, so the barking thing would drive me crazy. If I had a bigger yard and fewer neighbors, this would the perfect breed for me.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I've always loved a challenge. I'm retired and my Lab goes everywhere with me. I have the fury backseats in both vehicles to prove it. At least the Vizsla sheds less. Where I'm moving to, my only neighbor had a Vizsla, so we're good with that. Lake Earl is right there as well as great duck hunting.
56 years of dogs.. two black labs, a cockapoo, a Basset Hound, two JRT's, a Parsons terrier, a chocolate lab, and now the Yellow lab. Yellow lab is starting to go down hill. Mom only killed two of them.. :eek: Dogs seem to like to walk to the road..
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

Good for you choosing a rescue dog!

John
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

The rescues sometimes have issues, but one obverses and adjusts. Sometimes, they hate men. Sometimes they hate cats. Simba really hates cats. So did Bubba the Parsons. He fell in the pool trying to get a cat. Pool skimmer works great on herfing a cat out of you yard. Heck, today I went out without a hat on and Penny the boxer didn't recognize me.
Dogs are fun!!
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lenier »

My neighbors have had a few. Insane energy. The most energetic dog you will ever own. The first one bit off the tip of a finger, not on purpose, but just from sheer energy and excitement playing with tennis balls.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I've looked at some Youtube videos on the breed. Amazing energy. My Parsons bit my finger but it was my fault. hand feeding buffalo wings. Only lost the fingernail and some nerve damage on the tip of the finger.