2023 Backcountry Current Conditions Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

2023 Backcountry Current Conditions Reports

Post by maverick »

This is not a place to post trip reports, but a place for members to post current conditions experienced in the backcountry on recent trips. This will give other members considering visiting, or traveling through that same location a heads up on difficult sections, so they can plan accordingly.

Please, do not request information about particular sections of interest that you are about to visit, also, do not post anything besides a backcountry conditions reports, otherwise your post will be deleted. Thank you.

Please include the location and the dates of your trip in the "Subject” tab!

Copy and Paste this outline below and fill out the info.

Route taken:

Elevations:

Difficult section encountered:

Special equipment needed/used:

Possible alternative routes:

Example:

Subject: Roads End>Rae Lakes>East Lake>Longley Pass>Sphinx Lakes 7/4-7/12

Route: Roads End-Upper Paradise Valley-Rae Lakes-Glen Pass-Junction Meadow-Lake Reflection-Longley Pass-Cinder Col-Sphinx Col-Sphinx Lakes-Roads End

Elevations: 5036 - 11926 feet

Difficult section encountered on this trip:
- Lost of snow on northern side of Glen Pass icy in the morning hours.
- Bubbs Creek crossing very difficult, found the best crossing point 400 yards west of the usual low water crossing section.
- Big cornice encountered on Longley Pass, which was bypass by climbing rocky section north of the pass (class 3).

- Ice Axe
- Crampons
- Trekking Poles

Possible alternative routes:
- When crossing Bubb's, I notice a section about 100 yards further west that looked much easier.
- Should have bypassed the cornice on the southern side, route looked barely class 2.
Last edited by copeg on Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Kennedy Meadows South / PCT North / Big Pine 5/22-5/27

Post by michaelzim »

[Mmmmmmm....How to post location in the Subject Tab when it is already "2023 Backcountry Current Conditions Reports"??? Maybe I am being a ditz?]

Week of May 22nd. - 27th. 2023

Just a window into current snow conditions in a couple of places...Kennedy Meadows South / PCT northbound and Big Pine, this past week. (The High Sierras are still very "white" and full snow cover generally looks to be around same as below).

Northbound on the PCT it is snow free until around 8,000 to 8,500 ft. where patches appear on north facing slopes. Full snow cover only starts (except for rock outcrops, etc.) at around 9,500 ft. Note, that this is a full 1,500 ft. higher than a month ago! The melt has taken off that much in 4 weeks as I lost the trail back at the start of May at 8,000 ft. due to full ground snow cover of around 2 ft...Big difference!

1. WSW Olancha Peak - 9,500 ft..jpg
2. WSW Olancha Peak - 9,500 ft..jpg

Here is a shot from 8,800 ft. looking SSE along the North Fork Big Pine from just below the Second Falls. As you can see the west slope is snow free, whilst the north east slope is still snow covered.
3. N. Fork Big Pine - from 8,800 ft..jpg

Best ~ Michaelzim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oddtiger
Topix Regular

05/27-05/28 Hetch Hetchy loop

Post by oddtiger »

I did the Hetch Hetchy loop over the weekend counterclockwise. From trailhead to Rancheria Falls, I had to "cross" the waterfalls before the Wapama Falls footbridges. It looked sketchy but actually not too bad. Ranger did mention it might get worse time to time. Rancheria had so much water. Tiltill valley was a swamp. You'll get wet shoes no matter what. Two bears were in the meadow all day. Snow started around 7000ft from Tiltill to Vernon. 100% snow coverage plus large flooding area on the top. Vernon water was free of ice, but I had to cross a small section of creek after the footbridge at the outlet. It's ice cold. Vernon to Beehive was straightforward with lots of snow and "stream" along the trail. Beehive was a swamp with snow. I couldn't find my way crossing Frog creek to Laurel. After searching upstream for an hour I gave up and walked out. It was too sketchy. Out of Beehive snow was disappearing under 6400ish.

It's beautiful up there but be prepared for river crossing and snow. Safe travel!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

6/11/23 Some info on Grouse Lakes roadless area

Post by wildhiker »

I did a day hike Sunday 6/11 on the edge of the Grouse Lake roadless area (Tahoe National Forest, just off I-80) on the Spaulding Lake trail at 5,000 feet elevation and talked to other hikers I met on the trail. Here are some brief condition notes:

Spaulding Lake trail is in good condition with no snow at all and some flowers starting to appear. I hiked as far as Fordyce Creek, which is a raging river, as shown in this photo:
IMG_8258.JPG
One group I talked to backpacked all the way up Fordyce Creek trail to camp by the Grouse Ridge trail. They had to ford Granite Creek which was knee keep and very cold. They took a day hike up to Beyers Lakes and said they had solid snow above about 6,600 feet. This is on a south-facing slope!

I tried to drive into the Blue Lake trailhead at 6,000 feet elevation, but got stopped by enormous puddles covering the road that looked over 6 inches deep, so I didn't want to try to cross them.

A terrific thunderstorm hit the area in mid-afternoon with torrential rain. Backpackers I talked to said a similar storm on Saturday produced quarter-sized hail.

-Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sbennett3705
Topix Acquainted

Re: 2023 Backcountry Current Conditions Reports

Post by sbennett3705 »

Really good report on the conditions in May in the southern sierra. These guys are real soldiers: early start times, collapsing snow bridges, barefoot steam crossings, one MPH average hiking speed. Total respect. Hoping things have improved since then!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vZWOR7SU1dI&t
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Grouse Ridge - Tahoe NF - 06.18.23

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Taking inspiration from wildhiker's post, my son and I spent Sunday June 18th doing a bit of recon on the north side of Grouse Ridge. As expected, there's still quite a bit of snow up there.

In my Forester, we were able to drive to within 1/8 of a mile of the Carr Lake parking area on FR17. The remaining snow at the top of the road will probably be melted out after the next warm spell.

Carr Lake is ice free. Some of the campsites are still pretty wet and show signs of snow damage to tables and bear boxes. Feeley Lake was about 2/3 ice free. There is still a significant amount of snow on the trail the follows the south side of the lake, but easily traversed in hiking shoes and sneakers. (My son did use microspikes as his sneakers had very little tread.) Island Lake is entirely covered in ice except for some openings around the edges. You can find dry camping spots on southern exposures.

061823-grouse-ridge-01.jpg
061823-grouse-ridge-06.jpg
061823-grouse-ridge-02.jpg
061823-grouse-ridge-03.jpg
061823-grouse-ridge-04.jpg
061823-grouse-ridge-05.jpg
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
remy.carter
Topix Newbie

Cottonwood Lakes, Inyo NF, June 15 to 18

Post by remy.carter »

Route taken: Cottonwood Lakes Trail to Cottonwood Lake #3

Elevations: 9900′ to 11100′

Difficult section encountered: The crossing at Cottonwood Creek at 36.48674, -118.18042 was swelled so crossing it required walking on a mostly submerged log using the balance of a much larger, unsubmerged log.

Special equipment needed/used: none (we brought microspikes but never needed them because the snow was not icy enough)

Possible alternative routes: Taking the South Fork might avoid the difficult water crossings.

This is looking west toward Langley on the south end of the unnamed lake that is just east of Cottonwood Lake #3. (taken at 36.49358, -118.21230)
PXL_20230616_194239657.jpg
robguz
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Sawmill pass - 6/17-6/18 2023

Post by robguz »

First time posting, but have been enjoying this forum for a few years, so thanks!

I spent one night solo up at Mule lake on the Sawmill pass trail this weekend and did a day-hike to Sawmill pass in the first afternoon. I chose this route because a) theres plenty of snow-free trail b) everything over 10k is south-facing and shallow-sloped including the pass itself, which allowed me to travel over the snow without crampons/ice axe or the skills to use them, and c) there are no challenging creek crossings.

The trail is in pretty good shape up until the meadow at ~8300', though a bit bushwhacky in spots. After that there are several washouts and landslides on the steep slope up to Mule lake, so some route-finding is needed.

The snow begins in earnest right at Mule lake as an avalanche came down right at the outlet, though Mule lake is mostly snow free and I found a nice camp spot on the eastern shoreline near the outlet.

The eastern shore of Sawmill lake is also snow-free, but from then on up to the pass it's solid snow on most aspects except some steep south-facing areas.

Looking down into Woods lake from a prominence on the ridge to the northeast of the pass (which is snow free), one can see that the entire basin is snowed in and Woods lake is still frozen and snow-covered.

Mule lake
PXL_20230618_131619841 Large.jpeg
Sawmill lake
PXL_20230617_222151046 Large.jpeg
Hike up to the pass, approx 11k
PXL_20230617_200524464 Large.jpeg
Sawmill pass
PXL_20230617_202325807 Large.jpeg
Ridge northeast of the pass
PXL_20230617_203328103 Large.jpeg
Woods lake basin, with Woods lake on the middle left
PXL_20230617_204357301 Large.jpeg
Looking back down to Sawmill lake
PXL_20230617_204412461 Large.jpeg
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Sirretta Pk, Taylor Dome, & Domeland Wilderness -- June 18+19

Post by Flamingo »

Subject: Sirretta Peak, Taylor Dome, & Domeland Wilderness. . . is a (mostly) snow-free and mosquito-free Sierra paradise right now.

Route: I climbed Sirretta peak on June 17, 2023 and Taylor Dome on June 18, using trails originating from Big Meadow (adjacent to Domeland Wilderness, not to be confused with Big Meadow near SEKI NP).

Elevations: 7800 - 9900 ft.

Difficult section encountered on this trip:
- consolidated snow drifts up to 2 ft deep, on north-facing aspects between 9000-9900'.
- Otherwise... Domeland Wilderness is mostly melted and very nice right now!

- trekking poles with snow baskets, but I found no need for traction or ice tools anymore.
DSC08329.jpeg
52987842394_9aae80a71c_k.jpg
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

6/18/2023 Cottonwood Lakes Trail, Horseshoe Meadow

Post by Love the Sierra »

Horseshoe Meadow: Cottonwood Pass has snow patches begin over 10,500’.

Cottonwood Lakes Trail: Snow Patches begin in the deep forest. In the afternoon, the water was too fast and strong for us to cross. I believe other backpackers may have crossed it, but this is unconfirmed and just based on the traffic I saw the next morning going OUT from the Trailhead.

Little Lakes Valley: 80% deep snow from Mosquito Flat. The road still has snow and is closed from the pack station. LOTS of day hikers slipping and sliding all over and, of course, their horrible dogs off leash. We were literally attacked by a fat boxer type male thing at the wilderness boundary. The owner showed up several minutes later.

LOTS and lots of snow. After 10:00 am soft and slogging. Snowshoes not helpful because you slide. Not much postholing but snow bridges and all footing MUST be tested with poles. We did a test, micro spikes were useless, may as well go with just boots because the micro spikes got ice balls caught in them. CRAMPONS HELPED! Even though we slid some, the crampons were a great help to reduce fatigue and speed our walking. We do not have the climbers crampons with the long teeth in front, but rather the Kahtoola hiking crampons.

Almost no dry trail. What was not snow, was a creek from the tops of the sole of my boots to the ankle.

Mono Pass Trail: We met climbers who had gone to Mills Lake, so the trail is passable for the brave at heart EARLY in the morning. For us, who would be traveling round trip, not mountaineers, camping in Mosquito Flat, we turned back at 11,000’ There were snow fields that would just be too dangerous if the snow is anything but rock solid. Climbers reported snowshoes unnecessary.

Hilton Lakes Trail: Rock Creek Road to the Marsh: 75% dry trail. Snow hides the trail at the wilderness boundary eliminating the riff raff who cannot find the route. No problem with gps and decent navigation skills. There is a creek running over what would be the trail above my boot ankles. We walked in the correct direction parallel with no problems. Running water all over the forest at the wilderness boundary. Snow encountered again above 10,000’ when re-entering the forest, (after the part that is a little lower elevation.) The marsh is WET. Tree wells were over 8’ deep! Crampons helped in the afternoons. Micro spikes useless. Snowshoes unnecessary. Snow bridges and fields above rock fields or logs MUST BE CHECKED WITH POLES before stepping. Pay attention!!!

P.S. Forgot to mention…
We had discussed skiing, I personally would not ski there first because of the huge sun cups, (thanks to all of you, for opinions on skiing sun cups) and secondly because there would be lots of skis on and off for the wet parts and parts where the trail is a creek or marsh. I did see three skiers, one backpacking and two on bikes, with giant, wide skis, going in, presumably to ski a bowl.

General conditions: LOTS of destruction in the forest! We saw signs of what must have been a DE4-5 Avalanche that started from the Mono Pass trail and ran off through the OTHER side of Mack Lake! No trees survived. Large trees with 3-4’ trunks were uprooted, most of the others splintered like matchsticks. Other places, swaths of splintered large trees, without signs of avalanche. Wind? Cornice falling? Who knows. Lots of destruction. Fallen trees in the trails. Snow in LLV still VERY DEEP. Water is running to my boot ankles on the trails. LOTS of snow on the mountains waiting to come down or melt. ENORMOUS, GIANT, HUGE, cornices on all of the peaks and across Mono Pass. Truly an awesome (in the true sense of the word, as in awe inspiring) sight. The mono Pass trail still has lots of snow up high. Mount Star and all of them, LOTS of very deep snow.