2023 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Kearsarge Pass Trail - 7/15 & 7/16

Post by shawnterustic »

Lots of slushy snow and plenty of water meant that we dealt with Category 2.5 / 3 skeeters near all water sources; wasn't bothered by them much at all while moving, however. Dawn and dusk were certainly the worst of it.
backjassett
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Waterwheel Falls 7/23

Post by backjassett »

Day hike, 8:30am-5:30pm.

Most of the trail was a 1, with lazier parts of the Tuolumne a 2. Glen Aulin notable exception at 4, swarmed by at least 20-30 when I stopped for 10 seconds, some biting through Permethrin-treated clothing.
sierras4me
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Agnew Meadows, Garnet Lake, Ediza Lake - 7/22 - 7/24

Post by sierras4me »

Agnew Meadows - 5. Can't stand still for a moment, even when moving they swarm you. You will get eaten alive!

Trails to Ediza Lake and Garnet Lake- 3 - 4 depending on whether near body of water and wind. Doesn't matter the time of day. You go out for a few minutes to eat, wash up, etc, you will get at least 3 bites.

Had to cut our backpacking trip short because it was miserable with all the mosquitos. When we got to our destination, we'd just hang out in our tents to avoid getting bitten. Buddy and I came home after 3 days with at least 30 bites each. :crybaby:
walipriest
Topix Novice

Green, West, and East Lakes 7/22-7/23

Post by walipriest »

Trail up to Green Lake was extremely wet in sections = lotsa bugs. At the lakes, 2-3. Used Sawyers DEET lotion + Permethrin spray on the clothes, plus head net, no bites.
ekt
Topix Newbie

Levitt Meadows, Fremont Lake, Bonnie Lake - 7/22 & 23

Post by ekt »

<2 in the lower drier sections
2-3 in most forested and/or low wind areas
100Peaks
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Bishop Pass Trail to Long Lake 07/14 - 07/16

Post by 100Peaks »

3 - On the trail and at camp at the northern end of Long Lake, though the breezes and hiking motion kept them at bay for the most part. We were attacked on breaks and in camp
4 - South Lake Trailhead - immediately swarmed upon arrival and getting ready to head out.

There were also biting flies of various sizes. I even got bitten by mozzies at 11PM when I got out to see the Milky Way.

Sorry for the late report! :)
dbargaehr1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Isberg TH area July 24-29

Post by dbargaehr1 »

July 24 middle Cora Lake - 2
July 25 North Fork San Joaquin near Hemlock Crossing - 3
July 26 lower Bench Canyon - 1
July 27 Long Creek just below Rockbound Lake - 0
July 28 East Fork Granite Creek west of Cora Lakes - 4. Miserable!!
July 29 - 4 until we got about 500’ lower than Cora Lakes, then gradually tapered to a 2.

Permethrin is a must, but even with treatment we still got occasionally bitten through clothes. 100% DEET on hands, ankles, faces, necks, midriffs.
jimmyjamhikes
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Cottonwood Lakes July 23-27

Post by jimmyjamhikes »

2/3 at Cottonwood Lakes, Lost Lakes, and South Fork Lakes, but wind reduced bites to a minimum.
middleweight_marmot
Topix Novice

Saddlebag Lake and 20 Lakes Basin 7/29-30

Post by middleweight_marmot »

Level 3 at Saddlebag Lake TH - deployed headnets in the parking lot at 11:30am 7/29 when starting the trip. Just as bad around the same time when we returned the next day.

Level 2 in 20 Lakes Basin. We camped in between Cascade and Steelhead lakes, and an intermittent breeze kept them mostly at bay. Had to swat them away when the breeze died down. Seemed to be the same all the way up to McCabe Pass, and slightly worse below Conness Lakes where everything was a little wetter.

Our party of three got a dozen bites or so total over the two days. I treated my shirt and pants with permethrin last week ahead of the trip and I didn't get any bites with minimal headnet use
Jessicalilia
Topix Newbie

Kennedy Meadows to Ridge Lake, Emigrant Wilderness 7/29-7/30

Post by Jessicalilia »

Hello folks! First time poster here!

Level 0 most of the trail, a 2 in some of the marshier areas (not too extensive) and a brief 3 at Summit Creek crossing. Ridge Lake was 0 until dusk, and then a few came out for their dinner.