2023 River/Stream Crossing Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Zarka
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

MF San Joaquin River at Garnet Lake 7/23

Post by Zarka »

Middle fork of San Joaquin River at Garnet lake cutoff trail. July 23, the river was uncrossable, (and remained so when we returned on July 29). It was possible to navigate off trail downstream all the way to the switchbacks going up to Shadow Lake where there is a very good bridge to the river trail, or you can go up to Shadow lake to get the JMT again. We went down the cutoff because the melting and slippery snow around Garnet was unstable and we believed we would be in danger going across it on the JMT, although we saw others do it, we were not comfortable with the risk. It is not hard for someone accustomed to off-trail wilderness navigation with a strong constitution, but it wasn't easy either. Roughly 0.6 miles per hour travel including stops to filter water and have snacks.
Zarka
Topix Novice

Minaret Creek at JMT 7/27

Post by Zarka »

Minaret Creek at JMT intersection near 37.64180, -119.09600 July 25-27, we crossed on the 27th and spoke to about 10-12 others who had done it before us. It was waist deep for most people. We found that the best crossing point is about 100 yards SE of the trail/river intersection where it's slightly shallower, wider, and has smooth rock bottom and nicely sloped on both sides. Slippery but OK with poles in bare feet.
Zarka
Topix Novice

King Creek Crossing 7/30

Post by Zarka »

King Creek crossing between Devil's Postpile and Fern Lake. Cold but crossable in bare feet with poles on July 30, knee high only. We saw at least four other people who did it the day before. King Creek between Fern and Superior would also have been crossable in the same manner, but we used a snow bridge on July 29, but I am sure that is not safe by now due to rapid melting of bridges. If water level is too high due to melting snow from Holcomb and Ashley lakes above in the coming days I would recommend you find a place considerably higher up the canyon to do it. Crossing over the water coming from Anona was challenging but not impossible with dry shoes all the way.
Zarka
Topix Novice

Re: 2023 River/Stream Crossing Reports

Post by Zarka »

IMG_0538.jpeg
JMT bridge across Middle Fork San Joaquin River completely destroyed except for the handrail. 37.65379, -119.08001 pic taken July 29
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
webdweeb
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Trail Pass/Upper Kern and Golden Trout Creek

Post by webdweeb »

South Fork Kern crossings just west of Bullfrog Meadow were easy, no wading or walking on logs required-this section of the Kern is beautiful, definitely one of the highlights of this trail. Farther west, the GTC crossing from Tunnel to Groundhog Meadow was fairly deep and a bit quick in a few spots but still crossable without ropes (stick definitely helped). The main crossing was deeper and wider, but some other hikers flagged an alternate crossing a bit farther to the south that was much narrower and about the same depth and flow rate. Bottom line, definitely doable with a full pack, recommend poles for stability, but current not too aggressive for us old and gray backpackers.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

any body see any weather forecast that says there may be a monsoonal weather pattern over the Sierra in the next few weeks. I found last years monsoonal flow really impacted creek water levels in some places for a time.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

the south fork of the Kern had some near record flows this year, and it sure needed it, to flush out the trash and beaver dams ruining the flow of the river south of Kennedy Meadows. This is classified a wild and scenic river, but they do not do any management of the river that I can tell. I am glad I had some good years fishing the river 10-20 years ago, because now, the fishing has all but been ruined to neglect.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Sabrina Basin crossings

Post by kpeter »

8/9 Outlet from George Lake on the Blue Lake trail was knee deep and safe to wade. However, some have placed some flimsy branches across the crossing in an effort to stay dry. Today I saw a man topple off the branches and fall over the downstream side. He became pinned between rocks and branches half covered in rushing cold water. He was unable to extract himself but was pulled to safety by several companions. If he had been alone the outcome might have been horrific, with hypothermia eventually taking its toll. As it was, he seemed ok, with a few lacerations.

Folks, take the time to put on your wading shoes whenever you face a sketchy crossing.

8/8 The wide crossing above Dingleberry Lake has lowered to the point that some of the stepping stones are exposed, others submerged under an inch or two of water. I waded in the cold water and popped up on an occasional dry stone to warm up. Others simply waded straight across, although the cold could be intense. Others walked on the stones whether covered or not. All in all, there are safe options to cross here and the situation is likely going to improve day by day.

All other creeks in the basin that I encountered were wadable and several could be crossed without wading. At the immediate outlet to Baboon Lakes you can cross on a raft of logs--but be careful to test each since some of them are floating and will shift.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I crossed the creek below Piute Lake going up to Piute Pass. There are log crossings over both, but they are narrow, set quite high above a very fast creek, and if you were to take a fall, the results would not be good. I felt a little unsteady, so I forded both crossings. With good technique, good footwear, taking your time, I have definitely forded worse creeks, and never felt in danger. But the water is of course, very cold. My German Short Hair went quickly over on the log, but when he saw me fording, he crossed back over on the log, and forded the creek behind me. Show off!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
powelc
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by powelc »

Richlong8 - how deep was the water crossing at Piute Creek where you forded?