2023 River/Stream Crossing Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
iluka
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mono Creek Valley Crossings (8/10-8/15)

Post by iluka »

We spent the past week exploring the various basins above Mono Creek and here is some information on the crossings we did in that area:

Crossing at the junction of the trail coming down from Trail Lakes with the trail to Golden Lakes: able to rock hop

Mono Creek crossing to access 4th Recess: Able to rock and log hop

Mono Creek crossing to access 3rd Recess: Used crocs. Water was just below the knee at it's deepest

Laurel Creek: Used crocs. Water just below the knee at it's deepest but mostly mid-calf

Hopkins Creek: Used crocs: Water was about mid calf

Pioneer Creek: Able to rock hock with one of the rocks still under a few inches of water

Outlet stream from lowest lake in Pioneer Basin: Used crocs. Water just below the knee at it's deepest

Trail to Golden Lakes: able to rock hop

There's been a fair amount of rain the past week keeping things pretty moist up there.
Nozmo King
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

West Walker River?

Post by Nozmo King »

Any info on whether the West Walker River is crossable on the way to Fremont Lake from Leavitt Meadows?
SC-Rachel
Topix Newbie

Re: 2023 River/Stream Crossing Reports

Post by SC-Rachel »

Thanks for this report! Did you head over any of the passes towards McGee? Or come across anyone who had? How were the bugs?
iluka
Topix Novice

Post by iluka »

Not sure if you're referring to my post or not but in case you were -- we did not head into the McGree Creek drainage so I can't comment on what things were like there.

In terms of mosquitoes:

- 4th Recess Lake had a a good amount

- Laurel Lake basin had far more than 4th Recess Lake (the basin was much wetter overall)

- PIoneer Basin: we heard from some other people that the bugs were bad but had a camp on a sandy area between the second and third lakes in the upper basin that was largely bug free

- Summit Lake: no bugs
leemur
Topix Novice

Convict Creek 8/14/2023

Post by leemur »

Sketchy and not ideal. We knew the bridge was out but thought we could scout a spot below the convergence with Genevieve Creek. It was braided below the confluence but there was too much water to feel comfortable. We ended up finding two huge rocks above the confluence where we could jump across without packs then toss the packs across. To cross Genevieve we found a spot about 40 feet uphill of the confluence where we could get down on all fours and slowly make our way holding onto rocks. Again, not ideal but it was doable.
DogMama
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Info Request: Taboose Creek Crossings

Post by DogMama »

With all the road closures, we are considering Taboose Pass TH and wondered about crossing Taboose Creek this year with all the high water levels. Any recent updates would be appreciated.
Spicer'sVet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Spicer'sVet »

@DogMama-

We crossed Taboose Creek on 8/12 and again on 8/19. The only crossing of any concern was the first one, and actually it was pretty easy. Someone had attached a purple rope as a guideline, hopefully it's still there but isn't necessary really. The creek is raging, but it looks worse than it is and isn't very deep (shin level at most). The biggest issue was the plant growth that can get tangled in your gear. I was hoping a trail crew would head up there with some pruners as all it would take is a few cuts and the problem would be solved easily.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Humphreys Basin and Piute Canyon 8/22-8/29

Post by Love the Sierra »

All wet creek crossings about to my knees but easy and safe. Expect wet crossings that are not even on the map and those on the map are WIDE.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

W Emigrant 8/31-9/4 crossings

Post by kpeter »

Lily Creek and Piute Creek have water flowing and on the low trail could be crossed by stepping on stones that were not more than 1" under water--this after the big rainstorm.

W Fork Cherry Creek I forded on the low trail as per usual, once at the trail crossing and once at the Rosaco crossing. Knee deep in both places. I saw two young people with better balance than me make it over the trail crossing while keeping their feet dry, finding small logs and bouncing across distant stones. So avoiding a wade is possible.

Buck Meadow Creek must be forded three times coming out of Woods Lake, about knee deep in all three cases. At the downstream crossing nearest the W Fork confluence the water level is much lower than early season, but there is ample evidence of a horrific spring runoff there. The trail on the north side is obliterated and replaced by a gravel bar for about 50 feet. I did not recognize the place after many prior visits. The south approach however is normal.

I forded East Fork Cherry Creek 4 times, once near the confluence with the Yellowhammer outlet stream, then the three crossings of the Huckleberry Trail. All fairly easy. Calf deep. Easier than Buck Meadow Creek. Specifically, moving upstream: 1) The crossing near the Yellowhammer outlet (at 6972) I did between two pools where the stream was shallow and racing over granite. Very important to be certain of footing and avoid the slippery green patches. 2) I stayed on the south side of the stream and made the next crossing at 7123. The hard thing about this crossing is the approach paths run through boggy ferns that complete obscure the trail. Maybe the alternative (downstream) which I never saw would have been easier to find. The crossing was easy. 3) At 7210 the water races across a granite slab. Similar issues with algae to 1 but otherwise easy. After reaching the south shore look for the switchback which seems to run in the wrong direction. 4) The grandest of the crossings, in the vicinity of the big 7668 dome, both sides of the crossing were ample ducked, and the water was calf deep when I crossed. The most straightforward of the four.

North Fork Cherry Creek near inlet to Cow Meadow Lake was about knee deep and fairly wide. I noticed the water did not seem that cold.

Coming into Wood Lake the trail passes between two lobes of the eastern lake. It was kneeish to thigh deep and I startled a group of ducks.

I noticed that the water levels throughout were a fraction of early season, although the latest heavy three day rain system made the fords a few inches higher and a bit less trivial. Most of the lakes show that they had been a foot or two higher earlier in the year, despite the recent deluge.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Gianelli Cabin to Emigrant Lake 9/6-9/11

Post by Love the Sierra »

All dry crossings except on the isthmus of Buck Lake. Easy wet crossing to my shins.
Due to a blow down detour, the Buck Creek Meadow crossing can now be done dry.
Speaking of blow downs, lots of them along the entire length of the trail.
Trail is sloppy and wet and muddy and low gaiters were wonderful to have!