Hats/caps

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
MarthaBarnes
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Hats/caps

Post by MarthaBarnes »

Hello folks.

I’m looking for an outdoor hat or cap for my first camping trip. I’m wondering what you guys would normally wear, a cap or a hat? Any specific suggestions for me, please?

Thanks so much for your time.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Hats/caps

Post by The Other Tom »

A broad brimmed hat is best for sun protection. Some people wear a hat with a "cloth" that covers the back and sides of your head. This should work well for sun protection, but it seems it would be more confining or hotter than a hat. Just my opinion. I wear a Tilley hat, but there are other options out there.
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

I like the Outdoor Research Sun Runner Cap because it provides protection against bugs for head and neck.

It's good to have something that will stay on your head in the wind. It can be a bad thing to lose your hat over some exposure do to strong winds.

If I get too hot because I am going up a long hot uphill stretch under full sun, I will remove the wrap around the back cloth and just make sure I have enough sun screen for my ears and neck.

At higher elevations the air temperature may not be that hot even though full high altitude sun may make it feel that way.
Jeff
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

As Tom says a broad brimmed sun hat is best. I've been wearing what the seller's term a "bucket" hat for over 40 years. Just make sure it has the adjustable chin strap so it doesn't blow off when the wind blows hard, such as at the top of a pass.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Sun hoody definitely looks coolest, IMO.

Hat + bandana is also a solid option when it's really hot.

Hats.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

I found a wide brim sun hat with a hidden flap that comes down like the OR Sun Runner Cap. I have a very large head so I am glad they sell it in an XXLarge size. I ordered it. I want the optional bug protection when needed.

https://connerhats.com/collections/beac ... boater-hat
sunhat.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

couldn't find there sizing chart.. Any Ideas?
druid
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by druid »

The Conner hats look like Tilley knock offs. Tilleys aren't quite the same quality that they used to be now that the company has been sold and the hats are no longer made in Canada. I'd be interested in what you think of your Conner when you get your order.

The size chart is further down the web page under "Details".
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

I found it by scrolling down.

Here is a YouTube video on the hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt2RB_AKT_o
sizechart.jpeg
Jeff
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

I will post my opinion on the hat when I have a chance to wear it for several walks. I live in usually sunny Reno. We walk every day we aren't working. We both only work Wednesday-Friday. (Partially retired)

I can't stand the sun in my eyes so I always wear sun glasses and a hat with a brim. I can build up a sweaty head going uphill especially at Reno elevation were it can be warmer for 6 months of the year.
Jeff