A Weather Window to crash into?

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

A Weather Window to crash into?

Post by Harlen »

How does this look? NOAA:
Tuesday: Increasing clouds and cold, with a high near 27. Wind chill values as low as -10. South wind 5 to 15 mph becoming west in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 7. Wind chill values as low as -2. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming east southeast in the evening.
Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 37. Wind chill values as low as zero. South southeast wind around 5 mph becoming west in the afternoon.
... and it continues like this, with cold and wind, but no real snow stormy weather. I have been waiting for a let-up in the storm cycles, to combine well with my tree work schedule; it looks like this may be the best I get.

Strangely, the "Full Weather Report" you get from the Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center has a significantly different, and more severe forecast. I.e., it describes this weather for today and tomorrow:

Today (4/3):
West 15 to 30 mph with gusts to 65 mph. Tonight, 4/3: Northwest 15 to 30 mph. Gusts up to 55 mph decreasing to 45 mph after midnight. Tomorrow, 4/4: Northwest 15 to 25 mph with gusts to 45 mph.
Note, this is for the "mid-slope" area, it is more extreme on the "ridge tops."

So, how to interpret that discrepancy? I really want to get in there and see all of this snow.

Badger Pass has brilliant viewpoints, and is safe and easy; Snow Creek Ski Hut may be open, and that would be a nice warm basecamp to explore from; Silver Lake off Hwy. 89 is open, and might be a nice new place to see; and Hwy 50 to Echo Summit is wide open? But no-- Badger Pass is closed for the year, and the hike up Snow Creek Trail could be a lot more challenging than usual. There are no fires allowed at Deso Wilderness, beyond Echo Lakes TH. I wonder what it would be like to car camp in the foothills of the Owens Valley, and day ski all around while staring up at the Eastern wall of the Sierra?
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: A Weather Window to crash into?

Post by michaelzim »

I noticed similar discrepancies, like on the Hwy 395 report (See lowest entry in the Caltrans box below) ..."A high wind advisory Pearsonville to the Nevada State line" must mean all the way to the north nearing S. Lake Tahoe junction, etc. So Caltrans says there is wind around:
395.JPG
This would imply windy conditions would it not?!

P.S. If you find a decent trailhead into the hills please post it here as access to anywhere even is proving challenging.

Best ~ M.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.