Highway 180 Expected, and Possibly Mineral King Road, to Remain Closed in 2023

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Highway 180 Expected, and Possibly Mineral King Road, to Remain Closed in 2023

Post by zacjust32 »

Highway 180 Expected to Remain Closed in 2023

https://boydencavern.com/roads-2023/wed ... 023-update
From the Boyden Cavern manager
We are sad to announce that we are not expected to open for 2023. The conditions found on Highway 180 leading to the cavern are in need of such significant repair that it is not expected to reopen for this season.

At this time, we believe that the trail and gift shop are in fair to good condition, so there is a bit of good news with the bad.

We will be canceling and refunding all previously purchased tickets for 2023. Tickets for 2024 will be available in December 2023. We will always fully refund tickets that we are not able to fulfill.

If you wish to support us during this difficult time, you can purchase a gift card for yourself or a family member to use in the future.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Highway 180 Expected to Remain Closed in 2023

Post by LMBSGV »

Here's the current posting (4/27/23) on the SEKI website:
Due to severe road damage along the Highway 180 corridor between Grant Grove and Cedar Grove, Caltrans does not expect repairs to be completed before the end of the summer season. This means public access is not expected into the Cedar Grove area of Kings Canyon National Park for the 2023 summer season.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by texan »

Thanks for posting. I am curious about the Mineral King Road, no info yet on NP website.
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

texan wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:44 pm Thanks for posting. I am curious about the Mineral King Road, no info yet on NP website.
It actually has something a bit more detailed posted just today:

Mineral King - CLOSED

No access to giant sequoias, camping, trails, Silver City Resort, Mineral King Ranger Station, and wilderness.

Due to severe road damage along the Mineral King Road both inside and outside the park boundary, public access is not anticipated before mid-June. It is still unknown what, if any, public access will be possible this summer.
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

Lenier wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:59 pm
texan wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:44 pm Thanks for posting. I am curious about the Mineral King Road, no info yet on NP website.
It actually has something a bit more detailed posted just today:

Mineral King - CLOSED

No access to giant sequoias, camping, trails, Silver City Resort, Mineral King Ranger Station, and wilderness.

Due to severe road damage along the Mineral King Road both inside and outside the park boundary, public access is not anticipated before mid-June. It is still unknown what, if any, public access will be possible this summer.

Thanks for letting me know. I checked yesterday and there was nothing nw. I looked at some photos of the damage and I don't think the road will be open to the public this year but you never know. Thanks again for sharing.

Texan
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

has roads end (and etc) been closed all year before in anyone’s memory?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

East side trailheads will be getting much higher than average usage this year, even ones less used like Sawmill & Baxter, because Kearsarge will be booked by people wanting to visit Rae Lakes and beyond. Taboose and Shepherd Pass will get higher than average usage to access to Kings-Kern Divide and Great Western Divide area if Mineral King doesn't open for the summer. Once people learn about these closures, SEKI and Inyo permits may be more challenging to get. :(
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jôhorn
Topix Novice

Re: Highway 180 Expected, and Possibly Mineral King Road, to Remain Closed in 2023

Post by jôhorn »

Rec.gov just cancelled/refunded my June 2 and July 14 permits out of Bubbs. Another for Aug 25 hasn't been cancelled yet.
Lenier
Topix Regular

Re: Highway 180 Expected, and Possibly Mineral King Road, to Remain Closed in 2023

Post by Lenier »

I guess I should be looking into the Inyo permitting process, although I'm not bothering to plan my week long trip until late September now.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

SEKI NP:
Thanks to information provided by partner agencies we can share a couple significant updates as part of our weekly review of estimated reopening dates. For a detailed list of reopening dates and today's news release announcement visit https://www.nps.gov/seki.

At this time, due to severe road damage along the Highway 180 corridor between Grant Grove and Cedar Grove, Caltrans does not expect repairs to be completed before the end of the summer season. Unfortunately, this means public access is not expected into the Cedar Grove area of Kings Canyon National Park for the 2023 summer season.

For Mineral King in Sequoia National Park, due to severe road damage along the Mineral King Road both inside and outside the park, public access is not anticipated before mid-June. Tulare County is working on temporary repairs to three sections of road damage outside the park boundary, these repairs are expected to continue into June. As soon as we’re able, the park will assess whether construction equipment will have the necessary access to begin repairs to severely damaged sections inside the park boundary. It is still unknown what, if any, public access will be possible this summer.

A reminder to those looking to visit in the next few weeks, Grant Grove in Kings Canyon National Park and the Foothills area in Sequoia National Park are currently open!

Grant Grove
Access to giant sequoias, the General Grant Tree, winter snowplay, camping, lodging, restaurant, trails, and more.

The Foothills area between the Sequoia entrance station and Hospital Rock
Access to lower-elevation camping, trails, wildflowers, wilderness, rivers, and more. No access to giant sequoias.

For trip-planning information and the most current park conditions, we urge visitors to visit our website. Updates to the reopening schedule are made on the Current Conditions web page weekly on Thursday afternoons.

Photo 1: Large boulder across both lanes of Hwy 180 between Grant Grove and Cedar Grove.
Photo 2: Large portion of Hwy 180 missing across roughly 1.5 lanes along the Hwy 180 corridor between Grant Grove and Cedar Grove.
343574616_964074758080475_5229994829784411324_n.jpg
343775838_110568438693852_6530630493680532634_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org