Highway 180 Expected, and Possibly Mineral King Road, to Remain Closed in 2023

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Highway 180 Expected, and Possibly Mineral King Road, to Remain Closed in 2023

Post by JosiahSpurr »

Lenier wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:12 pm I wonder if anyone will attempt to get down there using the trail from the Mitchell Mountain area down into the valley.
Please describe this trail, including where to park.

A few days ago the rate above Boyden Cave went up to 6,000 cfs just like it did last month (May '23). It's going down, and, it could go up in a few days with temperatures predicted of 79 degrees @ Kanawyers.

I'm leaving soon, to take pictures, and possibly see the South Fork rise significantly over 6,000. PM me to organize a group outing.

P. S. Graph from flow gauge:

https://www.dreamflows.com/graphs/yir.660.php
grampy
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Highway 180 Expected, and Possibly Mineral King Road, to Remain Closed in 2023

Post by grampy »

JosiahSpurr wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:56 am
Please describe this trail, including where to park.
[/quote]

Josiah - I believe Lenier was referring to the possibility of parking at the Marvin Pass trailhead, and heading NE and into the canyon toward Cedar Grove, rather than south / east on the Kanawyer Trail toward Comanche Meadow (this trail includes a spur trail heading up to Mitchell Peak).

The northward trail (don’t know its name) actually starts near the High Sierra Camp that is near the M.P. trailhead.
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

Yes, that's exactly it. I've never been on those trails, and never heard anyone mention them really, so I can only assume they're mighty rough with regard to downed trees, brush, etc.
grampy
Topix Expert

Post by grampy »

just found the name on a map. It’s the Don Cecil Trail.
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular

Post by JosiahSpurr »

grampy wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:18 pm just found the name on a map. It’s the Don Cecil Trail.
Thanks (!).

. Just last night, the CDEC gauge above Boyden Cave recorded 7,580 cubic feet per second three times (between 12:15 am and 1:45 am, today, Tuesday, July 4th). Previous highest flows this year were 6,850 on June 18th and 6,830 on May 22nd. Clearly, the heat wave this past weekend was a big factor (July 4th weekend: the predicted high temperature from weather dot gov shifted from Sunday 7/2 to Saturday 7/1).

. At Boyden, the river max flow is between midnight and 4am (May, June and now). Assuming the hottest temps were Saturday afternoon, the surge of melted snow flowed all day Sunday and all day Monday towards Boyden Cavern.

Reference:

https://www.dreamflows.com/graphs/day.660.php
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

It has been over 30 year since I’ve traveled the Don Cecil trail but I was always in good shape and an interesting trip transitioning from conifers to predominately oaks with increasing chance of encountering a rattlesnake!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Post by zacjust32 »

I have several friends with Road's End permits this year who are considering the Don Cecil trail down to Cedar Grove. I wouldn't be surprised if that trail gets a lot of use this year.
grampy
Topix Expert

Post by grampy »

zacjust32 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:06 pm I have several friends with Road's End permits this year who are considering the Don Cecil trail down to Cedar Grove. I wouldn't be surprised if that trail gets a lot of use this year.
Would that do them much good, in a legal (or even a practical) sense ? I checked rec.gov, and the Don Cecil permit quota looks to be all taken for the next few weeks (by people with the same idea, no doubt); anyway, you would “exit the wilderness” by doing a Cedar Grove to Roads End walk, making it a not-quite-legal strategy.

If trying for a Bubbs Creek-based trip, you could get a Sugarloaf permit (which has more availability than Don Cecil right now); if starting from Marvin Pass T.H., you would do an extra 6 miles and +2,400-ish elevation gain getting to the Sphinx Creek / Bubbs Creek junction (via Avalanche Pass), but you would be legal doing it this way.
JosiahSpurr
Topix Regular

Post by JosiahSpurr »

Correction, it is bikeable down to where 50 feet of both lanes were washed away by Redwood Creek, but there are four (4) signs on the gate just beyond the Hume Lake road that say no bikes. And no pedestrians (!). The only legal option is a... wheelchair (?).
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Post by zacjust32 »

FRESNO COUNTY: The latest update to the emergency repair work being done on State Route 180 between Hume Lake and Kings Canyon National Park.
1706311300283.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.