High blood pressure

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

High blood pressure

Post by Love the Sierra »

Hi,
Has anyone here got high blood pressure and have the meds slowed or impeded your backpacking abilities?

I cannot believe it, but after a life of eating exactly the perfect diet and plenty of exercise, never smoking and generally healthy habits, my blood pressure is going up. I Suspect it is 4 years of living with an epileptic dog which causes me to lose a full 4-6 night’s sleep per month, on average. Then I have to drink pots of coffee and cocoa powder to work and then a glass of wine to sleep at night.

Whatever the cause, for the past couple of years I have been short of breath and have been chasing asthma but now I am realizing that my blood pressure has gone from the lowest side of normal to mild hypertension.

So, before I see the cardiologist in June, I am wondering if any of you have experience with the meds he might suggest.
Thank you!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: High blood pressure

Post by rlown »

yes. Skip on metoprolol and go straight for the amlodipine. Steer clear of lisinopril as well (pulse rate inhibitor and can cause fainting.) Fainted 3 times on that drug. Dropped it completely.

Consider getting a cardio cath test and a cardio stress test as well. It checks out your major blood vessels to the heart. My record high was 160/110. Not too good.
Now bp runs about 130/63..
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Probably few of us are cardiologists, so recommending a specific medication for blood pressure is problematic. There are at least three forms of high blood pressure. As it turns out, there is a specific medication that works best for each form. Then even if one medication doesn't work quite right, there are generally others that do work. So, it is best to listen to at least one cardiologist and let them decide. For many, a cardiac stress test will help the decision.

My cardiologist was going to give me a cardiac catheterization to help sort out some unusual symptoms. Then during the procedure, they discovered a 99% blockage in one cardiac artery, which was fixed by a stent. After that, no symptoms at all.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

not if you've experienced metoprolol and lisinopril on the trail. It is very limiting. I know this first hand. Funny how it impacts your ability to raise pulse, eyesight (yellow turns green and snow is too bright to look at.) And you can't sweat. Don't ask me why but it was unnerving. Changed my trip from fishing to just camping/chilling. Actually, that was the best part of the trip up Rafferty.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Don’t worry, it only increases anxiety.
Listen to this podcast, there are also dozens of others that may be helpful in other aspects of your life, Love the Sierra. I have found a lot great advice and ideas on this podcast.

https://hubermanlab.com/dr-peter-attia- ... -lifespan/
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Lenier
Topix Regular

Post by Lenier »

I can't imagine that they'd prescribe anything but losartan/cozaar as a first line of defense, but as said above, depends on the outcome of the ultrasound. I have BAV and I'm on losartan just to prevent damage that high blood pressure could contribute to the valve. I've been on it since I was in my 20s, and I'll remain on it for the rest of my life.

Eliminating caffeine is a huge one. Anxiety reduction is more important. More frequent cardio and lifting weights help tremendously, too, but I'm sure you knew that one.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Although I work pretty hard on fitness and have a healthy diet, I have high blood pressure and have been prescribed lisinopril for several years with the doubling of the initial dose after the first year. I have observed no impairment in my athletic performance, including hard hiking. The only annoying aspect of lisinopril for me is the dry cough, which has been awkward during the COVID era. Anyhow, my personal experience is that lisinopril has had zero impact on my hiking strength and I have done some very challenging hikes at high speeds during the time I've been on the medication.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

guess we all have different reactions to drugs. I'll never use lisinopril again. Hitting the tile was the worst experience of my older life.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

@bobby49, I was not asking for a prescription, just if it has impaired anyone’s hiking ability.
@lenier of course I do cardio helps, but I did not know that weight lifting does as well. I hate lifting weights, too much repetition and too boring. I Will make a point to be more regular about it now.
As I expected, the drug effects are specific to each person and it is trial and error.
I really was mostly after is there still backpacking at high altitudes after a diagnosis of hypertension or is it all over. I see that some of you are still out there, thank you. My hope had been that some of you may have said the drugs improved your ability to backpack, but I am not hearing that from any of you. Lenier, I guess I have to hope for a stent? THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE A JOKE.
Thank you all!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Maverick, thanks, interesting podcast.
I will listen later today.