Early Season Alternatives

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Early Season Alternatives

Post by Lumbergh21 »

wildhiker wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:56 pm My many trips to central Nevada ranges were back in the 1970s. I've got a bunch of old fading negatives and slides, some of which I have scanned. Here's one of the better scans, taken in June 1975 from the high ridge at the head of the South Fork of the South Twin River in the Toiyabe Range at about 10,800 feet elevation, looking north to the crest.

-Phil

strip030f5.jpg
Nice photo. I hope to be there in late June or July. I figured this was the best year to go given the snow situation. I'm planning to do a loop starting along the South Fork of the Twin River and returning along the North Fork with a summit of Arc Dome along the way.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

In reference to my post about central Nevada mountain ranges,
Lumbergh21 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:51 pm Nice photo. I hope to be there in late June or July. I figured this was the best year to go given the snow situation. I'm planning to do a loop starting along the South Fork of the Twin River and returning along the North Fork with a summit of Arc Dome along the way.
Just be aware that the trails along the South and North Twin Rivers cross back and forth over the rivers multiple times due to cliffs in the gorges. Be prepared to ford raging streams (at least knee keep, and fast moving) if the snow is still melting when you go.

-Phil

Edit: Here's a photo of my partner on one of the many fords of the South Twin River in June 1974:
strip026f2-fordingSouthTwinRiver.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
erutan
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by erutan »

We were already in northern WA (haven't been in California since the second week of January or something), so decided to check out the Canadian Rockies since we'd only been for a few days in April before. Backpacking campgrounds are stupid, porcupines are a nuisance, and the parks canada site makes recreation.gov seem like a dream come true, but conditions are great and we're having fun. Not a lot of sub-alpine (mostly forest to scree), but some nice areas that have strange sedimentary peaks that remind me of mesas and buttes of the southwest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.