FlexTailGear Tiny Pump 2X Review

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

FlexTailGear Tiny Pump 2X Review

Post by JWreno »

I decided to upgrade our sleeping pads to the 3.25 inch thick Big Agnes Zoom UL insulated sleeping pads. Replacing some much older heavier pads that were 2.5 inches thick or less. The Zoom UL came with an inflation bag that weighed about 3 ounces. I used the bag to inflate the larger 25x78 inch pad and it worked but it was a workout. Still probably faster than using my lungs and keeps from adding a bunch of moisture to the inside of the pad.

I like the added thickness of the 3.25 inch pad. The outer edge of the pad is 3.5 inches thick. It is comfortable when I am on my back or on my side. My 78x25x3.25 Zoom UL weighs 19.5 ounces. I like that added surface area of the 78x25 inch pad compared to the 72x20 pads.

I have been watching a lot of youtube reviews of backpacking related stuff. I watch some videos of the FlexTailGear Tiny Pump and people liked the speed and ease of inflating the pads. I ordered the improved FlexTailGear Tiny Pump 2X which has an improved design that can achieve higher airflow and 4 kPa air pressure. The pump came with a variety of adapters but none fit the Zoom UL opening well enough to use it hands free.

I took the male inflation interface from the inflation bag that came with the Zoom UL pad. I cut it free and found the Tiny Pump 2X adapter that was closest to the size of the inflation interface from the pad. I use about 3 coats of adhesive over a 36 hour period to get a strong bond between the two parts. I then use quality electrical tape that I cut down in wide from the standard size and put about 10 very stretched tight wraps the overlapped the joint between the mated parts. The modified adapter only adds about 3/4 inch of length beyond the length of the pump. The modified adapter weighs 0.28 ounces. The pump and adapter weigh 3.96 ounces.

I inserted the modified inflator part into the pump and into the Zoom UL pad. The mated part was secure and didn't require hand holding the pump to keep it attached to the Zoom UL pad. I turned on the pump and timed the inflation of the pad. The total time was only 115 seconds for the 25x78x3.25 inch pad. The pump inflated the pad fully and with a sufficient firmness to the pad. I also have three of the Zoom UL 72x20x3.25 inch pads on order that will be used by my wife, son, and brother. Those should inflated in about 85 seconds since the volume is less.

We will be backpacking with multiple battery banks and some solar so I am not worried about recharging the pump multiple times on the trip.
I think I buy a 2nd inflator pump to provide backup against failure and reduce the load on the single pump. My wife and I and maybe my brother will be section hiking all of the PCT over a 3 year period. If we each carried our own pump it is likely that we would only need to recharge the pumps on resupply days. Each of the Zoom UL pads come with inflation pads so I have the parts needed to create additional adapters as needed for additional pumps.
Jeff
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: FlexTailGear Tiny Pump 2X Review

Post by JWreno »

I got our order of 72x20x3.25 inch Zoom UL pads. I did a test inflation. It inflated it fully in 60 seconds.
Jeff