Ski Touring Above Silver Lake and Carson Pass, 5/11- 5/14

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ski Touring Above Silver Lake and Carson Pass, 5/11- 5/14

Post by commonloon »

Harlen wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:32 am Commonloon, If you are planning a ski tour of your own in this area, I should mention that besides all of the wonderful Bear tracks, there are an almost equal amount of Snowmachiine tracks. This is a legal area for their fun, and though I was lucky to only meet them once, I could sometimes hear motors droning or screaming off in the distance. That does affect the ambiance of this place. On the Carson Pass side there is none of that, but it is more crowded with people. Good luck Paul, Ian.
Oh, thanks! I was thinking about it. I was hoping to get away and ambiance/solitude is a big part of it for me... It looks beautiful still. I'm pretty busy now, so it may not happen anyways.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

commonloon wrote:
Ouch! I know that ankle ailment far too well! Good to see you and Bearzy getting after it... Thanks for the TR and the photos!
Yes, but what if the damn thing happened in the middle of the range? Paul, didn't you trash your ankle while racing along doing the Sierra High Route?

You may have hobbled happily back out, minus the FKT, but I really worry now about having to drag my arse out on my elbows and knees due to one of these stupid injuries! Do I need to start carrying one of those damned beacons? I guess I can forego the skis I love, and switch to snowshoes for remote trips, but what a drag. And check this out, my supposedly sound, little-used snowshoes began to fail:

100_2805.jpg
This is the jury-rig I had to do to make sure they didn't fall off!

It was the ridges that the ratcheting thing is meant to grab that began to breakdown:

100_2806.jpg
See the failure? My MSR snowshoes failed completely too, though I believe they can be repaired. Anyone have a bomb-proof set of snowshoes?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Yes, I've sprained it more than once on the SHR. I have my hobble-out down to a science:

1) Advil immediately (reduce swelling).
2) Soak in cold stream for 15' or until I start to shiver (reduce swelling).
3) Tape up with KT tape (stabilize a little). Started bringing a bit KT tape some time ago.
4) Take some Aleve as the Advil wears off (longer acting).
5) Hobble out the nearest trailhead. Maybe with extra rests, shorter slower days.

The ankle problems are from when I was skateboarding as a teenager. I do carry an inReach Mini but mostly use it for the cookie trail feature and to send msgs to the family. I'm definitely of the mindset of being self-sufficient and self-rescuing - it's just a nice have.

Nice repair! Viole strap? ;-) I have some Northern Lites snowshoes; highly recommend them!

But... don't you feel like with your ski boots your ankles are more protected than snowshoes? Pin bindings? What boots? Since I'm not a super skier, I'm using more supportive (little less range of motion) Fischer boot w/ Salomon shift bindings (little heavier). I've skied inbounds with this setup.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

commonloon wrote;
Nice repair! Viole strap? ;-) I have some Northern Lites snowshoes; highly recommend them!

But... don't you feel like with your ski boots your ankles are more protected than snowshoes? Pin bindings? What boots? Since I'm not a super skier, I'm using more supportive (little less range of motion) Fischer boot w/ Salomon shift bindings (little heavier).

100_0125.JPG
Wishing I was here!

-Yes, Voile strap, carried in case of binding or boot failure.
-re. Northern Lite snowshoes: also found to be highly expensive! But they do look great @2.5 lbs. for the "Elites."

-My ski boots are lightweight Scarpa 3's, with Backland tour tech bindings. Yes, the ski boots are more protective, but with snowshoes I do not get up any sort of speed for dramatic wipeouts. Paul, you're a demon-- how fast can you go on snowshoes? I don't see how I could injure myself on snowshoes, hence the new idea to use them on remote solo trips. Also toying with the idea to try dog mushing again when I reach a brittle old age- legal?

p.s. The cast sucks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Wed May 24, 2023 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

I once caught Henry; he was skiing, I was using snowshoes, and I left a day after he did... He was camped. LoL.

Oh, man, sorry about the cast.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

Fiberglass cast? Maybe you do not have the same beak I had.
Anyway, thank you for the TR. I have skied and snow shoed that area a few times but more in Meeks and Makolumne. Beautiful area!!
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Harlan, don't ski so fast! (that is more so my mantra than ice, ice, ice!)

I'll pass on the snow shoes! One reason I never stepped up to Rondonée or tech bindings is because of the inherent risk of injury. One of the advantages of 3-pins is they very rarely cause a serious injury, due to the nature of the equipment design. They are also less susceptible to equipment failure and easier to effect a field repair, should that become necessary. I still use the Voile 3 pin mountaineer binding, coupled to Scott Excursion duck bill plastic boots (equivalent to the Scarpa T4). When I first started skiing, I invested in my tele future with a season of resort skiing to gain proficiency in the techniques, so I could get about without the need for locking down my heel and the risk and weight that comes with that equipment. Nowadays, with the advent of parabolic skis, they practically turn just thinking about it. I still still struggle with Napoléon crusts, and mashed potatoes however. My biggest challenge is advancing age has depleted my stamina.

As for equipment failure, straps are a good Plan B. But consider also carrying a couple of ounces of steel bailing wire, and in case of injury a SAM splint and duct tape.

I likewise ascribe to self-rescue (knock on wood). Therefore I don't carry a cellular of satellite com device, but do leave a detailed itinerary back home and carry RECCO detectors, should they ever have to go looking for me.

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Love the Sierra wrote:
Fiberglass cast? Maybe you do not have the same beak I had.
No, same break, but recall how much tougher you are than me. Of course, your bones are tougher too.
and Gogd wrote:
Harlan (aka Harlen) don't ski so fast! (that is more so my mantra than ice, ice, ice!)
Gogd, your quip would be more accurate had you said: "Harlen, don't ski so badly!"

I don't mean to sound so demeaning of myself-- I am strong on the the uphill, sound at edging along perilous steep traverses, a solid ski traveler, but just woefully bad at speed downhill! Gazelle can confirm this, as I embarrassed myself on our one ski tour together, attempting to follow her down the steeps. I really am looking into a season pass, some are less than $200/season.

Aura, thanks for the comments.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Ian,

Ok, now I got the full story. If it's any consolation (and indication of my savvy on xc skis), on an early "date" with Joy we spent a day on Mt. Pinos (Tehachapis), I somehow managed to run over my thumb and break it. Certainly not as compromising as an ankle, but more embarrassing. But if you're going to get out and do stuff in Nature, I guess you gotta be prepared for what gets dished out. Otherwise, it's the couch potato syndrome and I'd rather take my chances (as I suspect is the case for most folk on HST). Cheers, Cameron
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

Hi,
So the @ feature still doesn’t work! Glad that this thread has turned into gear talk 😀

Ed, what kind of skis do you use? I just returned a pair of Scarpa t4’s since they were way too stiff for me. I am thinking about getting a much wider ski for ski touring/ over night backpacking this coming season. I NEVER go fast. Always look for the slowest kick turn or even side stops down. I saw your old post about the Sierra traverse. How can you get crampons on your ski boots? I can only get micro spikes on mine. I guess if I bought a much bigger size that could only be used with the duck bills and not my hiking boots? How can you hike, when you need to, in those Scarpa t4 look alikes? (I mean your Scott’s of course.)

Cameron, I knew we lived pretty close, Mount Pinos is my go to for local hiking and skiing. I thought I would be skiing every weekend this winter until Kern county announced they only have one ski plow and it was broken and the road would stay shut until all of the snow melted out. You ran over your thumb with your ski or fell and broke your thumb? How can you run over your thumb?

Ian, most important of all, are you up and around and ready for summer backpacking? I hope that you are all better now. You can always come out with me next season and I can teach you all about how to go slowly!My specialty 😀