Ski Touring Above Silver Lake and Carson Pass, 5/11- 5/14

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

I've always intended to explore the basin above Silver Lake (off Hwy 88) to get a closer look at the craggy volcanic peaks that rise above the lake. These are some of the mountains of the Kirkwood ski area. Over the years, Bearzy and I, family and friends, have skied and climbed all around the Carson Pass and Truckee headwaters, and after each trip, as we head back west, I see those impressive peaks beckoning. We finally got in there last week, and it was as nice as I had imagined. The basins above Silver Lake are a permit free zone as they are not part of the Mokelumne Wilderness. With a campfire permit in hand you can have a fire anywhere you like, unless summer season restrictions are put in place.

Bearzy and I skied in about 3.5 miles to camp in the open forest below frozen Scout Carson Lake. We stomped out a basecamp including a fire ring, thoroughly packing the snow to keep the fire from melting too quickly down. Our next day's plan was to climb Thimble Peak, and then carry on down the other side, and around on the ridge to gaze into the Mokelumne Wilderness. We got up Thimble, and then Covered Wagon Peak, and finally Melissa Coray Peak. From there we hiked over to the shoulder of Peak 9795 to get a view down to Fourth of July Lake, and up the wild Summit City Creek drainage. Back at M.C. Pk, I had the pleasure of meeting 3 snow machine travelers who were great company, and the only folks I would see for the 3 days I was there. I also met Marmot, Douglas Squirrel, Alpine Chipmunk, and birds, birds, birds, including Golden Eagle, Flicker, Warblers, Horned Larks, Rosy Finches, and my favorite Mountain Bluebirds! I carried on south down the ridge till above Horse Creek Canyon, and then luckily chose to stop there and return, giving us more daylight to locate our camp. It took far too long to find the bloody camp, and I blame Bearzy entirely for that. We had perfect sunny weather for the first three days and nights, and then a bit of nice thunder-cloudy weather on our last day.

The surface conditions were 5" of slightly loose snow here and there, atop a densely packed base. Even the surface 5" from the most recent snow storms was mostly firm. I used skis on the way in and out, snowshoes and just boots about equally on the snow slopes and ridges. I brought a whippet and ski pole along everywhere. No post-holing fun to be had as yet-- really great conditions, excepting on my last day when the afternoon-loosened, grabby snow caused me some grief while skiing.

100_2731.JPG
The cabins by Silver Lake were pretty snowed in.

100_2832.JPG
"Hey come on over for beers on the deck... Oh, and bring your shovel."

100_2730.JPG
Cabin/snow cave.
(*These folks do not have the TahoeJeff snowblower.)

100_2830.JPG
Silver Lake had some stunning scenery!

100_2739.JPG

100_2735.JPG

100_2736.JPG

100_2742.JPG

100_2733.JPG
We saw a Lot of Bear tracks!

100_2743.JPG
First glorious sunset at base camp.

100_2746.JPG

100_2814.JPG
The wonderful, 1 lb. beta light.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:25 am, edited 9 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

100_2751.JPG
Dawn, and our first climbing goal of Thimble Peak.

100_2752.JPG

100_2755.JPG
Heading up.

100_2758.JPG

100_2763.JPG
Sagebrush.

100_2768.JPG

100_2769.JPG
Much of the mountain was composed of volcano-clastic layers, basalt and rhyolite, and it was tough on paws.

100_2774.JPG

100_2771.JPG
That big white mountain to the far right is Mokelumne Peak.

100_2778.JPG
Nearing the summit, with Roundtop in the background.

100_2781.JPG
I had told Bearzy to stay put while I climbed to the top, only to find a slightly (~8') higher crag beyond-- Damn!  I saw a tricky way up it, but with Bearzy waiting near a precipice, likely to chase a Marmot over the edge, and my ski boots lousy for climbing, I decided to leave the true summit untouched.  I didn't want to risk a petty injury while I still had a chance to break my leg. [-(

100_2782.JPG
True summit pinnacle--Damn!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

100_2785.JPG
Looking back on Thimble Peak left, and Covered Wagon Peak right.

100_2788.JPG
High on the slopes of Melissa Coray Peak, with the Crystal Range in the distance.

100_2766.JPG
Mokelumne Peak in the distance at center.

100_2795.JPG
Click twice to enlarge and you'll see the Mother of all cornices in the upper right-- big as a house!

100_2817.JPG

100_2820.JPG
Bearzy tests a big snow bridge.

100_2828.JPG
Back at Silver Lake.

100_2833.JPG

100_2823.JPG

100_2831.JPG
I was happy to finally get to know this area, and to have a good look at Thunder Mountain.  Loose snow avie risk kept us from climbing it.  I had brought crampons and ice axe for it, but saw too many point-release avalanches to risk it, and of course I was still looking forward to breaking my ankle.

100_2834.JPG
I drove around to Kirkwood to check out the scene, and found this ironic combination of massed people and a sign saying "Solitude."  Kirkwood is supposed to be a cool, and low-key resort-- it did seem pretty nice.

100_2839.JPG
Sunrise on a spur of Red Lake Peak, on the Carson side of the range.  Beautiful weather coming on.
Last edited by Harlen on Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

100_2845.JPG
For a last bit of fun I decided to day tour up to the base of melted out Elephant's Back Peak, and then climb it, then ski under Round Top, and over to the Sisters-- seen here, right of center.

100_2860.JPG
Bearzy up on the Elephant's Back.

100_2849.JPG

100_2863.JPG

100_2851.JPG
Elephant Back has great views all around.

100_2853.JPG
X marks the spot where I crashed and burned my ankle. 

100_2866.JPG

100_2867.JPG
The weather was pretty fantastic, and changing fast!

100_2870.JPG

100_2872.JPG
 I love watching this kind of stormy weather.

100_2874.JPG
I chose to head back at this point, and was having a blast cruising downhill.  Then I blew a turn and got this below for an ankle for the next six weeks, now hidden in a cast.  Oh well.  I reckon I've learned a few good lessons from it, and I can still call it a nice trip, but with a lousy ending.  C'est la vie.

100_2878.JPG
Last edited by Harlen on Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Re: Ski Touring Above Silver Lake and Carson Pass, 5/11- 5/14

Post by commonloon »

Ouch! I know that ankle ailment far too well! Good to see you and Bearzy getting after it... Thanks for the TR and the photos!

Where did you park?
Gogd
Topix Expert

Post by Gogd »

Ankle: Ice ice ice!

Ed
I like soloing with friends.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hello Paul,
We parked at the north end of Silver Lake, in a plowed lot just 50' off Hwy 88. For the touring around Roundtop Mountain you can park right on Carson Pass, with a Snowpark Pass.

Gogd, I avoided all your ice by agreeing to a fiberglass cast up to my knee. Sorry, I was really, truly looking forward to the "trial by ice." I've heard that suffering is ennobling.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Thanks Ian. Good to know.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Commonloon, If you are planning a ski tour of your own in this area, I should mention that besides all of the wonderful Bear tracks, there are an almost equal amount of Snowmachine tracks. This is a legal area for their fun, and though I was lucky to only meet them once, I could sometimes hear motors droning or screaming off in the distance. That does affect the ambiance of this place. On the Carson Pass side there is none of that, but it is more crowded with people. Good luck Paul, Ian.
Last edited by Harlen on Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

Well, you go that snow trip in Ian but at a cost. Sheeeeesh...Hope the fiberglass does not itch!
Take good care ~ M.