SHR Pack Shakedown

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: SHR Pack Shakedown

Post by stevet »

A well thought out "skinny" list. For a month long hike I suggest bringing the tarp from your "alt" list. If you get slammed by monsoonal flow or the butt end of a hurricane you'll appreciate the dry space and ability to move about when you settle to camp. (bring ample guy line to enable "deadman" staking). As to camera gear, unless doing professional publishing, the latest iPhones or Google Pixels get the job done.

And not listed...you will want some kind of traction device and maybe an ice axe. Given this years snowpack you will encounter snow on the north side of all the SHR passes. If it has fully consolidated then for most of them something like the Kahtoola microspikes are adequate. BUT for Frozen Lake Pass, Snow Tongue Pass, Sky Pilot Col...these are a different breed. Much steeper. I'd want something heftier than microspikes and would want an ice axe if crossing them this season.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: SHR Pack Shakedown

Post by CAMERONM »

I would plan out your trip and resupplies doing closer to 12 miles just in case- even a young buck might have a hard time doing more than 10 miles on some days in some places-
Having personally gotten giardia taking water from only "safe" places, I don't agree with some water comments. Your ambitious plans will take a serious hit if you slow down with giardia. Why risk it?
Unfortunately the usual protocol is to take safety equipment when doing high passes without sufficient recon. But using an ice ax for arrest without training and practice is also dangerous; even add crampons to that list of potential dangers. But yes, for the weight and potential safety gain, microspikes could really come in handy.