Cherry Lake is not accessible rignt now

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
phoenix2000
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Cherry Lake is not accessible rignt now

Post by phoenix2000 »

C9h13no3 I believe you when you say Kibbie is already thawed and that's great news.

Today's Sentinel-2 L2a satellite image on Sentinel Playground Hub still shows it as only being thawed around the lakeshore.

I was just trying to point out my theory that the satellite images on the site aren't always up to date. Like if you look at the Sentinel-2 L2a satellite image of Laurel Lake on 5/30/23 it shows just a tiny bit of the lake shore thawed. The image from the same satellite on 5/31/23 shows it completely thawed.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

phoenix2000 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:51 pm I was just trying to point out my theory that the satellite images on the site aren't always up to date.
Uhhh, they print the date right on the image?

FWIW, people are getting down to the West Fork of Cherry Creek from the Hells Mountain side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
phoenix2000
Topix Acquainted

Post by phoenix2000 »

c9h13no3 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:09 pm Uhhh, they print the date right on the image?
Unfortunately, the Sentinel Hub website does not show dates on the map. The only thing that shows the date is the icon at the top where you can select which date to view. Here is a screenshot of what Kibbie Lake looks like on 6/15/23 on the Sentinel Hub website.
Screenshot 2023-06-15 091418.jpg
The Sentinel Hub website was something I saw GiantBrookie mention in his posts. I googled it and found the website. Your satellite picture looks much more up to date. Can you please share the website where you found it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/eo-browser/

The image I provided was from the Peakbagger App. But you can access the same in the link above.

The date on the upper right is just today's date, not the date the image was taken.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

in caltopo, the sentinel image date shows up too, but only when zoomed out a bit.
Igneous
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Igneous »

c9h13no3 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:09 pm
FWIW, people are getting down to the West Fork of Cherry Creek from the Hells Mountain side.
Do you know what route they're driving? Last I was able to determine, much of 3N01 which is my usual route is closed. Unfortunately the forest order map has a gap that falls right on the part of 3N01 that I'm interested in, but a ranger told me it was blocked by snow "not far past Hull Creek" which didn't sound promising. Have not been able to learn anything about the little roads that connect over from Cottonwood Rd., and have never driven them
so no idea if any are suitable for an ordinary car.
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

I was just at Lane Lake last Thursday out of Leavitt Meadows and there was a few patches of snow. Looks like any snow facing slopes above 8K is mostly solid snow. Hope this info helps.

Texan
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

New Sentinel Hub satellite image June 24, 2023. Kibbie is now green:
62423d.jpg
62423c.jpg
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

6/8/23 map of Stanislaus NF road closures shows there may be more closures than thought. The list of restricted roads does not include 1N04 to Cherry Lake but map shows it is restricted so will need to phone Stanislaus NF for true status.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 113062.pdf
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

frozenintime wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:37 pm in caltopo, the sentinel image date shows up too, but only when zoomed out a bit.
How does one get the sentinel image in Caltopo? I don't see such an option, but I don't have the "pro" version.
—B²