Cherry Lake is not accessible rignt now

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Cherry Lake is not accessible rignt now

Post by c9h13no3 »

BSquared wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:13 am
frozenintime wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:37 pm in caltopo, the sentinel image date shows up too, but only when zoomed out a bit.
How does one get the sentinel image in Caltopo? I don't see such an option, but I don't have the "pro" version.
It is paid version only. We cheap people have to use Sentinel Hub.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

:(
—B²
mmosher
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mmosher »

I just spoke to the Groveland RD - Cherry Lake Road will be closed until August but Cottonwood Road is open.
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by frozenintime »

mmosher wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:32 pm I just spoke to the Groveland RD - Cherry Lake Road will be closed until August but Cottonwood Road is open.
forgive the dumb question, but i've not been to cherry before. does this mean access to shingle spring TH is not possible until august?
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

Single Spring Trailhead is accessible through Cottonwood Rd (1N04) from Tuolumne City. To get the permit, instead the usual Groveland office, call the Sonora Supervisor Office at 209-532-3671.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

A key question beyond coming in via Cottonwood Road, is have they yet opened the gate at the dam? My suspicion is as in 2017, they may delay that in order to prevent clueless kayakers from easily reaching the Cherry Creek areas where flows are still dangerous.
mmosher
Topix Newbie

Post by mmosher »

SSSdave wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:33 pm A key question beyond coming in via Cottonwood Road, is have they yet opened the gate at the dam? My suspicion is as in 2017, they may delay that in order to prevent clueless kayakers from easily reaching the Cherry Creek areas where flows are still dangerous.
You can cross over the dam to Shingle Springs and 1N14 if that's what you're referring to. I didn't see any locked gates besides the spurs right at the east side of the dam (which I think are always locked?).
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

mmosher wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:50 am
SSSdave wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:33 pm A key question beyond coming in via Cottonwood Road, is have they yet opened the gate at the dam? My suspicion is as in 2017, they may delay that in order to prevent clueless kayakers from easily reaching the Cherry Creek areas where flows are still dangerous.
You can cross over the dam to Shingle Springs and 1N14 if that's what you're referring to. I didn't see any locked gates besides the spurs right at the east side of the dam (which I think are always locked?).
Thanks!
donsthebomb
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by donsthebomb »

The road was open when I traversed it on 8/4/23. Keep in mind this is the road from Tuolumne (1N04). There is another road from highway 120 which also goes to the lake.
hobbitbook
Topix Novice

Post by hobbitbook »

I wish I'd read this post last week, it would have saved me hours of driving! :-)
Cherry Lake Rd (Forest Rte N107) from CA120 still closed just north of Kirkwood Bridge on the Tuolumne River as of 9/9/2023 . Apparently the road is damaged. We talked to hydroelectric staff in a pickup as they were going through the locked gate -- super nice -- and they said they didn't think it would open for months. The closure is not well-signed from either end.

Tuolumne County Road status: https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewe ... 9%2C102100

We had to access Kibbie/Shingle Springs TH from the town of Tuolumne on Forest Rte 1N04.