Traction devices gear test

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Traction devices gear test

Post by Love the Sierra »

So my friends, now that I have returned from the seriously sun cupped and sloshy eastern Sierra, I thought that I would share my findings. Since I do a lot of day hiking in winter, I am able to carry a couple of traction devices and switch if conditions call for it. The only conditions I had never tested, was sun cups. NOW I have that answer as well. (TR coming this weekend when I have time to process pics.)
Please chime in and tell me if you agree with my assessments.

Micro spikes: Useful for thin layers of hard ice or snow mixed with at least 50% dry trail.
Skis: By far the most fun! Use them as much as your skill enables you to.
Skins: Don’t be cheap and use the synthetic ones. The more expensive, lightweight mohair will be a life changing piece of gear if you are used to the synthetic. If you never owned skins, don’t torture yourself with the synthetic.
Snowshoes: great in powder in terrain too dicey to ski. A MUST.to prevent postholing. Tails are a must if you are backpacking otherwise you will posthole with snowshoe and full pack.
Hiking Crampons: They help in every situation other than powder and unconsolidated snow, (when you would either use your snowshoes or skis!) Of course they are a must when you are on hard, icy snow. However, Even when the snow is very soft and slushy and you are slogging, hiking crampons reduce fatigue and speed your travel. Even when your boots are sufficient since the snow is so consolidated yet soft on top, the hiking crampons make life better. They will NOT eliminate sliding on steep, soft snow, but they WILL make more gentle terrain easier.

I look forward to your opinions on when to use which traction.

Aura