Late-July Non-Lethal Route Inquiry--Help!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jrad
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Late-July Non-Lethal Route Inquiry--Help!

Post by jrad »

wildhiker wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:54 pm
jrad wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:48 pm There are sometimes permit work-arounds; for instance, I've several times not had a permit for Horseshoe Meadow main trail heads up above Lone Pine and have just used the "Trail Pass" entry (no quota at all!) - an extra 5 miles or so out of the way but allowing full access to everything the main trails get you to.
Just a clarification... The Trail Pass permit on the Inyo NF only allows access to the Golden Trout Wilderness. To head north into Sequoia Park from the Horseshoe Meadows area, you need a permit for the Cottonwood Pass or Cottonwood Lakes (Army or New Army Passes) trailheads. Of course, those two have quotas.

-Phil
I don't know ... when I got the permit at Lone Pine for Trail Pass, I had to specify campsites and exit point and one campsite was in SEKI. No comment from the ranger about where I could go once in Golden Trout Wilderness. The info on Trail Pass Permit says literally "Trips going north on the Pacific Crest Trail need a Cottonwood Pass permit" which seems a little vague as in if I am on the PCT going SOUTH or just not on the PCT, I'd be OK. Probably means what YOU said; I'll have to find out.
jrad
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by jrad »

wildhiker wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:54 pm
jrad wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:48 pm There are sometimes permit work-arounds; for instance, I've several times not had a permit for Horseshoe Meadow main trail heads up above Lone Pine and have just used the "Trail Pass" entry (no quota at all!) - an extra 5 miles or so out of the way but allowing full access to everything the main trails get you to.
Just a clarification... The Trail Pass permit on the Inyo NF only allows access to the Golden Trout Wilderness. To head north into Sequoia Park from the Horseshoe Meadows area, you need a permit for the Cottonwood Pass or Cottonwood Lakes (Army or New Army Passes) trailheads. Of course, those two have quotas.

-Phil
I don't know ... when I got the permit at Lone Pine for Trail Pass, I had to specify campsites and exit point and one campsite was in SEKI and my exit at Cottonwood Pass clearly implied going SOUTH on the PCT. I got no comment from the ranger about where I could go once in Golden Trout Wilderness. The info on Trail Pass Permit says literally "Trips going north on the Pacific Crest Trail need a Cottonwood Pass permit" which seems a little vague as in if I am on the PCT going SOUTH or just not on the PCT, I'd be OK. Probably means what YOU said; I'll have to find out.

Anyway, what if one WANTS to do a loop like I've done several times up Trail Pass trail, N on the PCT for 5 miles or so, short-cut X-C off the PCT directly down to Big Whitney, Rocky Basin Lakes, Siberian Outpost, down PCT to Cottonwood Pass? I doubt one would have to get TWO different permits for the same trip. Confusing.
KT5519
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by KT5519 »

Hi Isaac, I did take that Lodgepole dayhike yesterday (7/15/23) Posted a trip report in the Condition Reports and Information forum that is more detailed. The Cliff notes: Sillman Creek is crossable, a little bit up from the trail crossing. I did NOT go to Twin Lakes or Silliman Pass, but I met a backpacker on trail who was heading out from Twin Lakes. His description: Twin Lakes still frozen. He attempted Silliman Pass but decided to turn back due to areas of trail being washed out and a lot of downed trees.
isaac
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by isaac »

Just returned--thanks to all for info. Rowell Meadow to Roaring River. Started up Cloud Canyon but found the first crossing extremely dangerous and swift and turned back. Then tried for Belle Canyon down to Silliman Pass, but the trail became downright impassible owing to downed trees. Met another pair of backpackers who had been turned around by the same issue. Downed trees were everywhere--they were tenable along Roaring River, but Belle Canyon was out of control.