TR: Piute Pass & Misc. - 6/26 to 6/30

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
narc1370
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Piute Pass & Misc. - 6/26 to 6/30

Post by narc1370 »

Matthewkphx wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:26 pm Wow. Great trail report.

Where is “Pic. 3 Hitting a wall”? Is that below Loch Leven?

Edit: Is it this area?
IMG_4076.jpeg
Even though that looks like a lot of snow, I think I would rather climb that wall in those conditions than when the snow is gone and you climb, death by stairs all the way to Loch Leven!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Michael,

Being fond of early season trips, but having responsibilities that preclude getting out till August, it was delightful getting reminded of the glories of the snow-coated Sierra. And as many others have commented in other threads, once you develop a bit of confidence on snow (and are not post-holing all day long), it can make it easier to get to certain locations (especially when huge talus fields are involved) when the terrain is covered with snow. Given the low bug count you experienced, I think your advice was spot on: just get out there (if you can). And don't trust the weather forecasts! Cameron
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the report! Envious that you were able to get out there and have a good trip despite the snow.
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

cgundersen wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:26 pm Hi Michael,

Given the low bug count you experienced, I think your advice was spot on: just get out there (if you can). And don't trust the weather forecasts! Cameron
On the possible theme of..."I don't want to deal with slushy snow, etc., etc. so am staying home!" This great writeup by Ned Tibbits was brought to my attention by @Matthewkphx. It's titled: "Snow-Hiking = Fun?". He describes very well why it is worth ignoring all the downsides and making an attempt to get into thinner air.

https://www.facebook.com/1213062513/pos ... l/?app=fbl

Seeing as it is a Facebook link (which has annoyed me in the past as what not a Facebook member) I will post the whole thing in The Campfire thread too, so can read it there...and make any comments - so as not to hijack this TR into a PCT or big snow discussion.

M.
scottmiller
Topix Acquainted

Post by scottmiller »

michaelzim wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:12 am
this mega snow may be a once in a lifetime opportunity to see the high country in its vast white blanket of wonder. Yes, it's challenging but the fact that so many people are out there in all this and have been for months, I find inspiring.
I felt the same when I got some unexpected heavy snow in Emigrant in September. It wasn't something I would do on purpose, but it was fantastic and I'm glad it happened.
nunez7897
Topix Novice

Post by nunez7897 »

Wow Humphrey's basin with all that snow is mesmerizing but I'm not sure I would enjoy traversing all of that. Hoping to get out over Piute Pass and get to finally see the other side of Puppet Pass on Labor day weekend. I'm sure it will look drastically different then but I imagine it's still going to be a slushfest.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey Michael,
Good on ya for getting a trip in. Getting up to Piute Pass is a pretty fair compensation for missing Le' marck Oui?
In another snowy year, Lizzie and I slogged up a very snowy Piute trail in mid-June with skis. We agree with you and Cameron, it can still be pretty wonderful up there all in white.

Had you been over Monitor Pass before Michael? We were just there for the first time, and found it's rolling high country fascinating. We lucked into a great Phacelia bloom up there, and Green-tailed Towhees! What were those pink flowers in your photo, and did you see any wildlife? Thanks again.
Last edited by Harlen on Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

@Harlen... Yes, getting up Piute was definitely good compensation for missing out on the "Frenchman" (je presume?). The wildness of Lemarck Col might have been a bit too wild for my presumptions too!

Re Monitor Pass...Yes I have been over it a number of times but nowhere close to the display it put out on the way back this return. The change in such a short time was remarkable! I recall a lot of green going over eastbound, but not all those flowers everywhere westbound. Other times the pass has been open, wildish and a bit bleak - which is why I like it. Not a busy pass and cuts that corner nicely.
As for the purple flower show, I must admit to an absolutely pathetic knowledge of wildflowers (especially for an ex-gardener). I thought it may be Little Elephant's Head but the colour is wrong, plus I did not look closely enough. You may have it though with Phacelia as looks kind of right.

Good to see you are getting around (no surprise) after your winter "mishap"...

A question for you @Matthewkphx re your hike up the Piute Pass trail a short while ago...
Hiked up the Piute Pass trail yesterday (7/11).
...Were those log crossings over the N. Fork Bishop Creek still well above water level or had the creek come up and swamped them? I'm kinda keen to know what water levels are doing since I was there. This weekend's heat wave may be the final peak hurrah in this long runoff thing perhaps.

Best ~ Michaelzim
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

The logs were well above the creek. The second crossing has some splashes that had overtopped the very center of the failed V shaped log but it was above the creek level overall.
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

On that flower Ian...I realized I could zoom in on another pic of it I had and here it is below...Not Phacelia after all?

Purple Flower - Zoomed in.jpg

M.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.