TR: Bishop Pass, Muir Pass, Lamarck Col 7/1/23-7/4/23

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Bishop Pass, Muir Pass, Lamarck Col 7/1/23-7/4/23

Post by TurboHike »

This video shows a few PCTer's who crossed the broken bridge in Dusy basin. Go to the 6:40 point in the video. Video was taken June 23. The bridge did not move much when they crossed, but it still looks sketchy to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qUwCVBqBbY
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Unless on skis, well described reason I stay away from the High Sierra until trails have little snow.
kylekuzma
Topix Acquainted

Post by kylekuzma »

Super helpful! I have a trip in two weeks planned over Mono Pass into Pioneer Basin and this was extremely helpful. Looks like we may be skipping it unfortunately. Sad
Klank
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Klank »

@thensepia - thanks so much for sharing what looks like an awesome trip. good info as I am preparing for a buddy and I to hike this trip in opposite direction come mid August.
GGC23
Topix Acquainted

Post by GGC23 »

This was really interesting for me to read because I did this exact trip (albeit in reverse) during the same weekend with similar pacing in 2019, which was previously my benchmark for a big snow year. Here are some comparisons on the snow levels from my trip v. what you reported:

- Bishop Pass - In 2019, the trail was about 90% melted below Bishop Lake.
- Dusy Basin bridge / water - The bridge was intact in 2019, but the water flows look about the same.
- Le Conte Canyon / south of Muir Pass - The snow line was about 10,800 ft. in 2019.
- Evolution Valley - This was also totally snow covered in 2019 from just above the junction of the Lamarck Col trail to Muir Pass, although I'm guessing that there's many more feet of snow cover this year.
- Darwin Lakes - The top two were about 50% melted and the rest were fully melted in 2019, but there was a ton of nuisance snow. I agree that travel through this area would be easier with a lot of snow cover, rather than the rotten, partial snow I found.
- East side of Lamarck Col - nuisance snow until right before the col, then a pretty significant snow climb.

Needless to say there is WAY more snow this year.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

Interesting that the North Lake Road is not open all the way still. The Inyo road website says it is open to the first parking lot. I think that is what I circled in pink and the usual backpackers parking lot is what I circled in blue. Do I have those right?
IMG_4269.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by stevet »

@Matthewkphx the blue circle is indeed the usual backpacker parking. I can't be as declarative on the pink circle, but from all maps I have easy access to, that is the first designated parking after the split from the road to Sabrina.
hikerdude87
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by hikerdude87 »

Great report and thanks for the photos!!! I was in the Dusy Basin to Le Conte Canyon last year in July and it is amazing to see all the snow back there still.
thensepia
Topix Newbie

Post by thensepia »

@matthewkphx Yes, I walked to the pink lot. Not sure why—there's a little bit of water running across the road in one spot further up but not anything that looks like it would cause damage, and the campground is dry.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Post by Matthewkphx »

Cool. Thanks for confirming. I appreciate the trail report too.