Route Inquiry - please help me plan a trip of a lifetime

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Route Inquiry - please help me plan a trip of a lifetime

Post by frozenintime »

if whitebark is an issue, there is a possibly less snowy and steep pass to its east (photo below).

i'm also curious if others echo horscht's concern about lake basin by mid/late august?
Horscht
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Horscht »

Moin Ian, I think you got the basics covered, but should we ever meet on trail (maybe in Greenland?) it would be my pleasure to teach you a few more important words like Herrengedeck, Küstennebel or Glühwein.

As for your nose, please keep sticking it in, this intel is exactly what I was looking for. I was only pondering over Twin Lakes as an exit point since my original plan was to hike the SHR. But the only hard boundary condition is that I have to reach my flight home from San Francisco on the 6th which gives me 3 or 4 days for segment 4 - depending on wether I need a zero for re-civilisation.

I think Yosemite Valley to San Francisco is a bit easier, logistically speaking, so thanks for your additional ideas. I had similar thoughts about Roosevelt (what about Don’t Be A Smart Pass?) and Young Lakes earlier but was intrigued by your pics of upper Virginia Canyon and really would love to get there. So I might cross McCabe on day 1 and continue to the head of Virginia Canyon as per your original itinerary. Long day but by then I should be fit enough. I could return to McCabe via Return and Soldier Lake or cross Stanton pass if conditions allow and bushwhack my way down Spiller Creek. Day 3 would be either just down to Tuolumne Meadows to catch the hiker’s bus to Yosemite Valley or all the way to Upper Cathedral Lake - a stop in Tuolumne Meadows for the night is unfortunately not possible this year.

But I could also get to San Francisco via Bridgeport and Reno and follow one of your other brilliant ideas. Or I climb a mountain from McCabe Pass and leave Virginia Canyon for another time.
Oh, too many options, too little time, so like I said, I have to come back for a second trip of a lifetime…
Cheers, Christian
Horscht
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Horscht »

Frozenintime, thanks for your suggestion about the pass east of Whitebark, but unfortunately, the photo doesn't show.
Do you mean the saddle between peaks 10689 and 10699 on the CalTopo MapBuilder Topo? That actually looks a little steeper on the north side, at least to my eyes. Or the one east of Garnet Peak? That looks less steep but do you know if it is possible to get there via Nydiver Lakes without getting back down to Ediza first?
Thanks and regards, Horscht
frozenintime wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:04 pm if whitebark is an issue, there is a possibly less snowy and steep pass to its east (photo below).

i'm also curious if others echo horscht's concern about lake basin by mid/late august?
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Horscht, we're sure you will make this a great and memorable summer in the Sierra, and we look forward to hearing stories, and seeing the photos from this epic. "Ein Glowein" indeed-- Zum Wohl! Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

whoops here's the photo of our route.
Screen Shot 2023-07-10 at 1.50.56 PM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Horscht,

OK, Ian and Frozenintime certainly covered a lot of issues, so to your question about Puppet pass: both because it's one of the more commonly used passes in that area (which means there should be tracks from others having done it) and because in my book it's a pretty easy off trail segment, I think you'll be fine. It's certainly a compelling route into Bear Lake area!

I've not done the route shown by Frozenintime, so I cannot comment explicitly. Still for how fast the snow has been melting, I think you may be OK on Whitebark. If not, there is a use trail that largely tracks the Nydiver Lakes creek which would take you to the Shadow Lake trail and the JMT which probably is easier than climbing back up on Frozen's route......but maybe less interesting? Probably roll the dice at that point! And regardless, as Ian emphasized, here's hoping it all goes fantastically! Cheers, Cameron