Lyell Canyon Current Conditions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jgaffney
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Lyell Canyon Current Conditions

Post by jgaffney »

I'm looking for current conditions in Lyell Canyon north of the climb to Donohue Pass. I'm planning a trip for early August where I'll hike in about 6 miles from Tuolumne Meadows, camp along the trail (100 ft away!) and fish in Lyell Creek. My only creek crossings will be on the footbridges south of Tuolumne Meadows.

What kind of shape is the trial in? Clear of snow? Muddy and boggy? What about when I go off trail to a campsite: are there areas that are clear of snow? Or, should I rent some snowshoes from REI?

My alternative is to go south of Yosemite, into the west side of Ansel Adams. I have hiked to Lillian Lake before but I didn't stay long enough to fish. That's my new backpacking hobby: High Sierra trout.

Thanks for the help.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Lyell Canyon Current Conditions

Post by c9h13no3 »

Definitely don't rent snowshoes. Snow won't be a problem below 10,000' in elevation (and likely higher). If you encounter any snow, just walk on it.

The trail crosses the outlet of Lake 10196, but if you go around the lake, the inlet is easier to cross and keep your feet dry.

PCT'ers should be a decent source of information for trail condition. But I doubt there will be a problem.

The off trail lakes above the PCT around ~11,000' are fan-****-tastic for scenery, but I have no clue if they have fish.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

IIRC, the trail out of TM towards Donahue stays above the creek to the west. Shouldn't be too boggy at all. And if you're willing to get into the trees and away from creek (as you should, anyway) there are plenty of campsites.

A few years ago we found the wildlife at dusk in this area wonderful. More marmots than you can count, frolicking in the grass. We saw deer, bear, and coyote as well.

As for the fishing, the current is slow and the water is crystal clear. Stay back from the line of sight and cast carefully. The fish can spook very easily.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
mkbgdns
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by mkbgdns »

from YNP website, conditions 7/21:

Lyell Canyon is snow free, with some flooded sections. Hikers should stay on the trail and not created new braided trails. Snow coverage begins past the Lyell Canyon footbridge, with 80% snow coverage increasing to 100% after the first creek crossing. Snow is sun cupped, but not extremely so. Ireland Creek crossing is too swift to wade, but has a log crossing up stream.