TR: Moonlight/Sabrina Basin and the Aggressive Pika 7/21-7/23/23

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ewarford
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR: Moonlight/Sabrina Basin and the Aggressive Pika 7/21-7/23/23

Post by Ewarford »

My first trip report! I wanted to share conditions during this historic snow year.

First, a question: is it called Sabrina Basin or Moonlight Basin?

Having canceled several permits throughout July out of concern for high snow and high creek crossings, I finally ventured out last weekend to see what the winter had wrought and to do a little scouting for an upcoming early August trip. I drove up to Bishop from LA on Thursday afternoon and camped in one of the campgrounds on the way up to South Lake.

I set out from Sabrina Lake at around 8:30 Friday, hoping to beat the heat, but it was a little late for that. The first big stream crossing (George Creek?) looked sketchy--white water over submerged rocks--so I scrambled and bush-whacked up the hill to two big boulders where the crossing was easy and safe, then slip-slided back down to the trail.

The trail to Blue Lake was snow-free, and the outlet crossing was easy. I took a little break, then set off for Dingleberry Lake and above. The Dingleberry ford crossing was about thigh-high (on the ground, not on rocks) and feet-achingly cold. After the crossing, the snowfields started in earnest, and I spent a lot of time relocating the trail. I had micro spikes, but they were useless in the soft snow. When I was on the trail, it was sloppy--underwater or muddy--and the crossings all required boots off. I crossed a couple snow bridges (probably unwisely, as I would learn) rather than doff and don my boots repeatedly.

Flooded Trail and Snow Bridge.jpeg
It was sort of slow going (and warm), and by the time I got to Topsy Turvy Lake I was pretty tired. But then it was an easy descent into the basin. I found a place to hang my hammock near Sailor Lake, and I rested and ate my favorite first-night meal: Trader Joe's ramen with a slice of American cheese melted in. When I'm tired, heat exhausted, and slightly altitude sick, the salt and noodles are simple and restorative.

It cooled off quickly as the sun went down, and I took a few pictures before turning into my hammock to read and stargaze myself to sleep.

Picture Peak over Sailor Lake.jpeg
Sunset over Sailor Lake Outlet.jpeg
There was a convenient boulder next to my hammock that worked as a nightstand--I put my book and glasses on it. I drifted off to sleep, but was soon awakened by the sound of chewing. Rodent chewing. I swung my headlamp around and found a pika gnawing on my hiking boots. He was very cute, but I needed those boots! I shooed him away, but he was undaunted. He climbed up onto my nightstand and chewed my glasses case. Then he jumped into my hammock! We both squeaked as I sent him sailing. I got up to hang my boots and backpack from tree branches and hoped he was gone.

Since I was already out of my sleeping bag, I took some pictures of the Milky Way over Picture Peak:

Milky Way over Picture Peak.jpeg
In the morning, I woke up to find that the aggressive pika had also shredded my favorite hiking shirt. :( At least he didn't get my boot laces.

I set out to see the lakes in the basin. First, I made my way over to Moonlight Falls:

Moonlight Falls with Snow.jpeg
Then Moonlight Lake:

Moonlight Lake.jpeg
I was hoping to make it up to Echo Lake, but it was solid snow, and I wasn't inclined.

Hungry Packer Lake:

Hungry Packer Lake.jpeg
Ice on Hungry Packer Lake.jpeg

After that I headed back down to Blue Lake. As I left Sailor Lake, a snow bridge gave way under me. I was able to hop back to the shore and cross at a thicker place, but after that I avoided snow bridges. With all the heat, they were too unstable.

Broken snow bridge.jpeg

The hike back to Blue Lake was easier, since I had a better sense of where the trail lay. I found a nice camp spot near the Donkey Lake-Dingleberry Lake trail junction and enjoyed some reading in my hammock and a relaxing dinner with a cheeky chipmunk companion.

Blue Lake Camp Spot.jpeg
Blue Lake.jpeg

At dusk, the mosquitos came out in force--they weren't so bad at Sailor Lake, but they were thick at Blue. I got into my sleeping bag and head net. They died down with nightfall, but not enough. I slept in my head net, but during the night it must have fallen onto my face: I woke up with bites all over my face. Should have set up my tent!

I had to meet my family in Bishop by noon, so I didn't linger the next morning. The hike down was warm but uneventful.

It's spectacular up there right now! Copious wildflowers lined the trail at lower elevations, but up high the plants were only starting to emerge. The snow is beautiful, and there's water everywhere. Can't wait to get out there again!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Moonlight/Sabrina Basin and the Aggressive Pika 7/21-7/23/23

Post by sekihiker »

Wow. What a great trip report and photos. I've never heard of a pika that persistent. What a pain.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

I know it was a huge snow year, but still surprised by that photo of Hungry Packer Lake.
Looks like a great trip, thanks for your first trip report.
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
texan
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by texan »

Thanks for the TR to an area I have been to many times. Lots of snow still and from your photos looks like I might to go to Echo and fish for those big rainbows in September or wait until next year. Thanks again for sharing.

Texan
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Great report and yet another example of how the 2023 High Sierra experience is a unique one. When have stream crossings in Sabrina Basin ever been a point of concern in late July!? Wow, what a crazy year this is. As for the pika, I once had a persistent, but never seen, animal gnaw on first boots, then leather grommets on packs (old school, this was 1987) at Tower Lake; these items were moved into the tent in the middle of the night to spare them from further damage. My dad and I always assumed the perpetrator was a ground squirrel, but perhaps it was a pika. We'll never know.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Thank you for your report! Superb first report, and one that I will put to very good use indeed! Thank you for helping out a fellow backpacker. Your images were beautiful and informative too!

I am taking a friend into Sabrina Basin on August 5 and I have been wondering about stream crossings. I see that Baboon Lakes are now clear of ice, and the extra time between your trip to mine should help, but yes indeed this is not going to be a typical Sabrina Basin trip.

Thigh high at the Dingleberry crossing! I've done that when it was very very cold before, but at that extremely wide spot it is hard to imagine it that deep. Wow.

I wonder if mosquitoes will be thinner higher up, close to the snowline, vs. at Blue and Dingleberry?

So, the crossing at the Blue Lake outlet was easy--did you walk logs or wade it?
Last edited by kpeter on Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Ewarford wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:12 am First, a question: is it called Sabrina Basin or Moonlight Basin?
The forest service refers to the place as "Sabrina Basin", but there is no "Sabrina Basin" in the Board of Geographic names database. Only Sabrina Lake is official. I haven't come across Moonlight Basin before.

That's a fine first post :)
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

I've managed to avoid the infamous "rubber- and plastic-eating marmots" of Mineral king, but have encountered marmots in other places who happily munched garments and ensolite pads (undoubtedly for the sweat/salt, because they will also gladly consume dirt saturated with "pee"). But like your experience, the more vexing cases were a couple of pika (one near Marie Lakes and one at the upper end of Cloud canyon) who wanted to dismember the woolen cap I pull over my head at night (to line their abode?). It's a strange feeling be awakened from a deep slumber by a critter tugging on your hat. And they do not take no for an answer. Well, it'll be fun to see if this same pika finds other "victims". Thanks for the report! Cameron
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

c9h13no3 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:50 pm
Ewarford wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:12 am First, a question: is it called Sabrina Basin or Moonlight Basin?
The forest service refers to the place as "Sabrina Basin", but there is no "Sabrina Basin" in the Board of Geographic names database. Only Sabrina Lake is official. I haven't come across Moonlight Basin before.

That's a fine first post :)
Good point. I've often wondered about the proper name for this region. I suppose "Sabrina Basin" is a good way of referring to this whole area on the east side of the Sierra that has no trails connecting with the PCT/JMT and the "main part" of the range. A self-contained spot, except for the intrepid souls who go over Echo Col.

But Sabrina Basin is actually two basins. There is the Sunset--Baboon-Blue (and Donkey) basin, and there is the Echo-Moonlight (and Hungry Packer) (and Midnight)-Dingleberry basin. The streams from the two don't connect anywhere in the basin itself, but come together far below on the way to Sabrina Lake. The connector trail from Blue Lake over to Dingleberry is a very useful but odd one, cutting across drainages and making it possible (and customary) for backpackers to partake of both these different basins on the same short trip.
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

@Ewarford...Just great first post & hoping for many more!
Just stunning to see the Sabrina basin like your excellent photos showed it. Hard to believe for the latter part of July. That Pika is also hard to believe as it took me many years to even see one, and at that from a distance. I guess that are not all cute little shy fluff-balls. Thanks for the heads up on that.
Best ~ M.