Tamarack Trail in Desolation Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jaybee
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Tamarack Trail in Desolation Wilderness

Post by jaybee »

I was planning a loop in the southern part of Desolation Wilderness that would include the Tamarack Trail (from Tamarack Lake down to the Glen Alpine Trailhead.) I knew from the elevation profile that it's a steep route, but the more I actually read about it, the dodgier it sounds - overgrown, hard to find, bit of a scramble. Our group will include a dog and some of our humans are less experienced hikers.

Has anybody been on that trail recently? Is this a bad idea? Also - is there still snow on it? I have an alternate route in mind, it just makes the trip more of an out-and-back than a loop.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tamarack Trail in Desolation Wilderness

Post by windknot »

I hiked this trail in September 2016. It was indeed steep, overgrown, and a bit of a scramble. The kind of route where you need to hold on to tree branches/roots at some points to aid in your descent. Nothing to be too concerned about for experienced hikers, especially those competent in offtrail travel, but I wouldn't recommend taking less experienced hikers down (or up) that trail if you want them to enjoy that part of the trip. According to the latest satellite image, there doesn't appear to be snow on it any longer but I'll bet it's super wet and slippery now with runoff being channeled down the "trail."
Last edited by windknot on Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

I also hiked down Tamarack Trail in the summer of 2016. Actually, I first hiked it in 2004 and swore I wouldn't do it again because it was soooo steep, but then we did it again in 2016 because it is soooo convenient to make a loop from the Glen Alpine trailhead up to Lake Aloha. It is very steep and rough. I remember some spots where you drop down big rocks, like giant steps. If you have done talus-hopping, you will probably be okay. If all your experience is on maintained trails, you might find this trail to be too much. Also, a small dog would have a lot of trouble.
-Phil
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

I second what has been said here, which is that this is not a trail for inexperienced hikers. Because of its steep sections, part of it plays more like an off trail route than a regular trail. The main really steep spot is high up which is sort of like a tunnel through brush where the branches slant downhill and you must grab them to let yourself down or to climb up depending on direction. Even in fall that move can be muddy and slippery and I'd imagine it will play muddy and slippery well into September this year. I'd guess that passage is a little cascade/waterfall right now.

I actually like the Tamarack trail, but I don't think I'd want to do it until things dry out (which might be October this year) and, even if dry, I wouldn't take inexperienced hikers on it.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jaybee
Topix Newbie

Post by jaybee »

Thank you so much for all the feedback! I will avoid this trail on this trip, but might give it a shot in the future with a different group (or just me.)
sgodgreeneyed
Topix Novice

Post by sgodgreeneyed »

If you're looking for a safer bet, the alternate route might be the way to go. Safety first.