Feedback for Lake Basin via Cartridge Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Fviolich
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Feedback for Lake Basin via Cartridge Pass

Post by Fviolich »

Dear Community - has anyone been to Lake Basin via Cartridge recently? I have a permit to enter Inyo through Baxter Aug 18 and will take a few days to get there. We plan to spend 5 days exploring Marion, Dumbbell Lakes and go back out Vennacher Col although Cataract looks like an option, or we also might go right back down Cartridge. Staying flexible. Any information regarding conditions, flyfishing, and equipment would be appreciated in particular micro spikes vs crampons. We prefer not bringing an ice axe unless we hear otherwise! Thanks!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Feedback for Lake Basin via Cartridge Pass

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Fv,

With Baxter as your entry point, you are facing a BIG climb (over 6000 ft) to get to the pass and if you get much further than the uppermost Baxter lake, you will be doing better than most mortals who take that route (which is lightly traveled so the trail can be sketchy in places and the one creek crossing that might be bad is the second one). From Baxter Lakes, it's a reasonably long stretch just to reach Pinchot pass (15 miles, or so) and after that first day, you may still feel the effects of the altitude and exertion. Assuming you camp before Pinchot pass, you'll have a 3rd fairly long day getting into Lakes basin. CameronM (not, me) posted on a trip he did last year that included Cartridge and Pinchot passes, but that's the last I recall of anyone using that route on HST. So, if you are planning on 5 days in and around lakes basin, keep in mind that you'll need at least a couple days to get back out. Hopefully, the fishing will be good, because that could lighten your load! Good luck, Cameron
Fviolich
Topix Acquainted

Post by Fviolich »

Thanks for the feedback Cameron! We’ll take our time getting up and over Baxter, maybe even a couple of nights enforce the pass so as to acclimate.
As for Lake Basin, due to the snowpack, I haven’t seen any reports for the area. Wandering Daisy has a detailed one from several years ago that includes Dumbbell Lakes and CameronM has one on using Vennacher Pass but nothing from this year. I’ve been glued to Caltopo using the Sentinel layer and comparing that with the big snow of 2017 but hearing from someone that’s been up in the Lake Basin/Dumbbell area in the last few weeks would be helpful. Frano
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by robertseeburger »

One thing to consider is that there is often a large cornice on the east side of cataract creek pass that may be difficult this year, if you choose
to go via Dumbbell Lakes. I have done this pass twice, one time it wasn't there, and one time was just able to skirt around the cornice without difficulty.
I would assume it may make things more difficult this year than normal.
Fviolich
Topix Acquainted

Post by Fviolich »

Thanks Robert, I appreciate your comments on this cornice. We may pass on this option especially not knowing conditions in Cataract Creek. I recall reading about this in Wandering Daisy’s post. Frano
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Frano,

After thinking about this some more, I'd recommend going up Taboose as opposed to Baxter (it's the nicer route, anyway), and this leaves you with a clear shot into Lakes Basin. Of course, the permit situation may preclude this option, but because there has already been a post (common loon's) this summer regarding Taboose that might be the way to go. Cameron
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

Taboose has that gnarly road access....
Fviolich
Topix Acquainted

Post by Fviolich »

Cameron - yes it seems to be a coin-toss between those three nasties! We went for Baxter because although it’s got serious elevation gain it seemed more intuitive. Also we’ve had this Baxter permit since March as a contingency plan since we had a gut feeling Roads End wouldn’t be in the cards this year. We may try getting a Kearsarge permit through Onion Valley within the 2 week-in-advance quota period but that seems
unlikely considering the expected demand. What a summer!
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Hey Frano- I have crossed Lake Basin a few times N-S as well as E-W, it is fantastic. Cataract and Cartridge are more class-2 than Vennacher, but of all of them, I would say that the snow situation at Cataract could probably the most challenging of all of them at this point in time. I have no real clue about actual conditions, today, but it still looks like one needs to go out prepared for some ice on passes, some cornices, but also intolerable slush with invisible rocks below. Another note about lower Lake Basin, it is a very wet place, that is part of its charm, but since there is still a big melt-off, you may be wading in calf-deep water a lot of the time.
Full disclosure- Cameron cgunderson and I used to see each other at the UCLA pool in the 90's almost every day for several years; I could keep up with him for about 600 meters, but after that, forget it. Frano and I attended the Graduate School of Design (architecture school) at Harvard University in the early 80's; he was part of the Berkeley mafia that swept into the school that year. Good people, for the most part...
Fviolich
Topix Acquainted

Post by Fviolich »

I feel like I’m seeing double with the two of you! All helpful info Camerons. Sheila and I will play this trip by ear. A lot of fear mongering out there about conditions so this’ll be a test of inner will and being very flexible. As Sheila reminds me, no death marches allowed which I’m prone to.
Really enjoyed your Vennacher post and your sons reaction when he looked down over the west side. Priceless. Our daughter is in her 3rd year at the GSD. Go figure!