Info needed: Green Creek to Virginia Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Pietro257
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Info needed: Green Creek to Virginia Pass

Post by Pietro257 »

This is a long shot, I know, but has anybody hiked this season out of the Green Creek trailhead (west of Highway 395 near Bridgeport)? I have a permit for next week to start from the Green Creek trailhead, go to Green Lake, go to Glines Canyon, and hike over Virginia Pass. My plan is to loop around from Virginia pass to Summit Lake, and then return to the Green Creek trailhead by way of Hoover and Gilman Lakes.

I've done this route a couple times before, but never after the Biggest Winter in Recent California History. I'm curious how much snow is on Virginia Pass and whether it is crossable. I'm just going to assume the whole place is swarming with armies of flesh-eating mosquitos. I bet it's boggy, too.

Thanks in advance for your help.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Info needed: Green Creek to Virginia Pass

Post by c9h13no3 »

https://sentinelshare.page.link/GXhW

There is a snowfield to cross. Slope angle looks pretty mellow, I'd plan on a fun glissade if you're going down the north side :)
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
apenn1
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Info needed: Green Creek to Virginia Pass

Post by apenn1 »

Did you end up going Green Creek up the pass? We are thinking of going to Summit Lake and up the pass this upcoming weekend.