Mono Pass Conditions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
iluka
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mono Pass Conditions

Post by iluka »

Just looking to see if anyone had been over Mono Pass out of Mosquito Flats in recent days and had information on the conditions. It seems from the satellite images that there is still some snow on the way up to the pass but curious as to what conditions look like from those who have been on the route. Thanks!
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Re: Mono Pass Conditions

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
sierrahikingtree
Topix Newbie

Post by sierrahikingtree »

I dayhiked to Golden Lake on Saturday and encountered snow on the final push to the pass, and then more around Summit Lake. Snow was firm in the morning, but easily navigable without traction devices. There were some large sun-cups, but overall travel was easy. Biggest obstacle was getting around the hoards of people in the first half-mile before the Mono Pass turnoff.
iluka
Topix Novice

Post by iluka »

Carne_DelMuerto wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:41 pm This was just posted on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/sierrat ... 353705411/
Not being on Facebook, I can’t access this post. If you can give a summary, that would be appreciated.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

iluka wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:18 pm
Carne_DelMuerto wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:41 pm This was just posted on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/sierrat ... 353705411/
Not being on Facebook, I can’t access this post. If you can give a summary, that would be appreciated.
Copy/Paste + screen grab of images:

Mono Pass from Mosquito Flat update – morning of Aug. 8th
Trail is snow free all the way through the switchbacks and around the corner to the final canyon assent (some water runoff spots easily sidestepped). At about 11,800ft there is a substantial remaining snowfield you need to traverse to get to the dry trail on the west side. The lower section is a bit steep (pictured), the upper section is more gradual (pictured). I had spikes and the traverse was very easy. From the tracks It looked like others were crossing without spikes (no one else on the mountain when I was there). As I said, spikes made it easy. The lower section is pretty steep and I’m not sure I would have attempted it without spikes. Summit lake is almost ice free (pictured).
FB-mono-pass.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
iluka
Topix Novice

Post by iluka »

We did our trip the past week and went over the pass twice. The conditions aren't much different than described in the prior post. The lower section that requires about a 10 meter traverse has a solid boot path it and lots of sand on it which helps with footing. The upper, longer and flatter snowfield is easily traveled on until you get to the trail through the rock. The snow was not freezing overnight and when we went down that section at 9:30AM yesterday, it was soft enough to travel on without microspikes.

On the north side, you can descend from pass to the lake without traveling over snow. There is one flat section of snow along side the lake with a lot of suncups that is no problem to cross and can also be bypassed by walking up slope a bit. At the far end of the lake before starting the descent to Trail Lakes, there are three paths heading over the ridge. Take the middle one and that will lead you on a snow free path the entire way.

If you're planning to cross country over to Golden Lake, the headwall above the lake still has a lot of snow on it and would make for an unfun descent. It's best to swing to the east / right side as you desend and then head down the draw that leads down less steeply to the basin south of the lake. That draw can largely be covered without getting on snow.