Hummingbird moths in the Sierra

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
Cycleboy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Hummingbird moths in the Sierra

Post by Cycleboy »

We have them at our house in the evening lately, Santa Ynez Valley area. My wife swore they were birds and I thought they were the moths we had here last year. Then one landed on the wall and it was clear.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Phil,

Yep, great photo and thread. Judging from the widespread distribution of locales where HSTers have been reporting these moths, it seems that this is their (the moth's) year. I can add that my recent trip into Miter basin (waiting for my pal to send me photos) included plenty of sightings, and as everyone else noted, they prefer the pink end of the spectrum. As the bats disappear, the moths make up for the winged-species loss? Cameron
shawnterustic
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by shawnterustic »

Fantastic photo! I was out on the JMT / PCT / Nüümü Poyo corridor for three weeks earlier this month and they were *everywhere* (as was the red mountain heather...quite a year for an extended flower show up high!) - never seen so many. Total delight!
erutan
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by erutan »

Also a lot more Skinks and Thistle this year compared to most.