Info request for Bighorn and shout of relief passes

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
aogo
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Info request for Bighorn and shout of relief passes

Post by aogo »

We are headed out on 8/28 to try to complete the SHR. Leaving from mosquito flat headed north. Looking for any info on the Bighorn and shout of relief passes and those between Tuolumne and twin lakes. We are bringing ice axes and microspikes but only have limited mountaineering experience so not very interested in steep snowfields with run outs into rocks or ice cold lakes. It would indeed be ironic if what turned us back was atmospheric rivers, Hurricanes, Steep snowfields in september And avalanche debris fields but not fires. But of course, those could come along, too. Thanks!
mildandgreen
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Info request for Bighorn and shout of relief passes

Post by mildandgreen »

I bailed on a plan to go over Shout of Relief on the week of August 21 because I was worried about snow. Looking at the satellite imagery it looks like it's probably not too bad now - I'm curious how it went- assuming you went through with it!
aogo
Topix Novice

Post by aogo »

We left from mosquito flats on august twenty eighth. We were able to avoid the steep snow on Bighorn by skirting around to the left on rocks. There was some snow on shout of relief but it was easily avoided. We went on from there and got to Reds meadow, Superior lake, over nancy's pass and to minaret lakes with no issues. From minaret we climbed to Cecile lake and found a way around some steep snow there. We had to turn back after that though because we were not comfortable Negotiating the steep snowfield that ran into a still partially frozen iceberg Lake. We had microspikes and ice axes but not enough experience to judge whether it was safe. Tried to attach an image of iceberg lake below. Beautiful. The Sierras are special indeed!
IMG_20230909_103244.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Aogo,
Those steep angles leading to a thawing lake have been a route buster for lots of folk this year. Along with swollen streams and weird weather it's been keeping folk on their toes. Hope you get a chance to post a trip report! Cameron
mildandgreen
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mildandgreen »

Thanks for sharing- I ended up in Ansel Adams wilderness and that photo shows me I made the right choice not trying to hike up from Iceberg to Minaret lakes!
aogo
Topix Novice

Post by aogo »

I have now posted a full trip report on the main conditions page. Hope it's helpful!