Red Peak Pass from Glacier Point on 9/4

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
hurleytw
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Red Peak Pass from Glacier Point on 9/4

Post by hurleytw »

hey there, we're heading out a week from monday w/ a plan to go over red peak pass from glacier point th, and then loop around merced lake and loop back to GP. we have a party of 7 and whole range of experience and was wondering if anyone has any real time updates? i saw a youtube vid that showed the climb up from ottoway lakes and back down due to snow. we had a snow experience on the buena vista trail from the mono meadow th in 2017 and it was eventful. any insights on what is there now would be great. thanks
RBMilli
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Red Peak Pass from Glacier Point on 9/4

Post by RBMilli »

I spoke with two guys who finished the loop around 8/19. They said there is one long snow section on the north side of the pass and a chest deep water crossing somewhere above the ranger cabin above Merced lake. Rangers said there is a bridge out, which I suppose is the water crossing. I am headed back to do this loop on 9/9. Please report back!
hurleytw
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by hurleytw »

Thanks and sorry i missed you.
we just got back and here are a few points. we started out on 9/4 from Mono Meadows. we passed 3 groups coming out from labor day wkd trips who said sat/sun had some tough rain/hail/snow at red peak pass on Sunday. to nasty to go over so they didn't try. Fortunately we had great sun all week. stream crossings were there but none over the knee and most half that. refreshing.
we stayed Tuesday night at lower ottoway before setting off on Wednesday am under clear skies. the north side snow has retreated from previous reports but we scrambled over the rocks and then relied on microspikes, poles and one ax to make our way down. took our time as we were all first time on the snow. no issues, took our time.
the lakes on the north side were all ice free. No snow after ~1/4 mile from the pass. one ford before the big bridge that is out at the triple fork creek merge w/ other creeks at the trail junction. also mosquitoes were a force at our campsite there until 8pm. a lot of flowers and bees still out. a lot of creeks to cross and only 1 more time for the water shoes before Merced lake.
came out from little Yosemite valley on Saturday in a bit of a sun/shower/hail mix but not issues. Illilouette creek was still knee deep when we crossed Saturday 9/9 at noon. mono meadow is also very wet. hope that helps. great loop.
RBMilli
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by RBMilli »

Hi! Thanks! We went 9/9-14 out of Glacier same direction, awesome loop. Went over the pass on Monday 9/12. That first section of snow at the top is 100 yards of sketchiness, which we mostly bypassed using the rocks just above. I have been watching satellite photos for a month, and I am quite certain that we would not have been able to make this pass even a week ago without crampons, there would have been no bypass to the top snow field and I am not sure micro-spikes would make that top section any safer in hard conditions. The rest of the snow sections we crossed slowly with poles in boots in good conditions at around 11a, able to kick in when needed and not slushy. It was cloudy but mild, I honestly don’t think we could have gotten better snow travel conditions. A little hard to follow the trail in some snow covered sections, using a good downloaded map made the snow travel way easier to stay on the trail, which always ended up looking like the safest path, and a lot more fun than if I had to eyeball a safe route without spikes. A very nice couple came down behind us doing the high water trail will probably respond here as well… :-) There were two guys looking at going up the North side of the pass as we descended, wondering if they were successful, as going up looked quite different! Thanks for the response, agree that the creek crossings are many and pretty basic. Amazing country, especially loved the views and trail work from Ottoway all the way to Bunnell and would add another day to this trip to more enjoy that section.