Info Request - Burro & Mule Passes

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
DaveB
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Info Request - Burro & Mule Passes

Post by DaveB »

We're doing a big loop through Hoover Wilderness and NE Yosemite in early September. We plan to cross Burro Pass from south to north on about September 5. Latest report from Yosemite NP was August 18, and said there was still a large snowfield on the north side of the pass. NPS didn't have any reports on Mule Pass. I'm guessing that by now there are well-defined footstep troughs in both, but wondering if anybody has updates or more details? It's been decades since I've backpacked in Sierra and my memory has faded as to how different passes hold the snow. Thanks in advance.
dprice1
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Info Request - Burro & Mule Passes

Post by dprice1 »

Our Scout Troop hiked that area on 8/4, we came over from Matterhorn Canyon heading North. No snow issues, yes snow was there but never used spikes and had a wonderful glissade coming off Mule Pass down to Crown Lake. Mosquitoes where at 10 around Smedburg Lake but I’ve never been there when they weren’t. I also came across Stanton Pass and down Horse Pass a week later on another trip and snow was only an issue descending Horse Pass and that was because I didn’t want to wait for the snowfields to soften up so I spiked up and used my ice axe.
sukhoi_584th
Topix Acquainted

Post by sukhoi_584th »

We're hiking Burro & Mule on the 1st, but it's at the beginning of our trip so I won't be able to post an update until the 5th or maybe night of the 4th. The Sentinels satellite images from the 21st do look a bit suspicious between Crown Lake and Mule Pass. And on the north side of Burro Pass...so I guess I'd appreciate a report too if anyone has anything. :D
sukhoi_584th
Topix Acquainted

Post by sukhoi_584th »

Never mind I won't be posting an update on Monday; we cancelled the trip due to the crazy wind forecast combined with the frigid temperatures.