Lodgepole tent site possibly needed - Saturday 9/2

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
outofstep
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Lodgepole tent site possibly needed - Saturday 9/2

Post by outofstep »

Longtime lurker, first time poster

Wondering if anyone with a Lodgepole campsite on 9/2 maybe has space for two very considerate backcountry campers who just need enough space to set up our duplex? We can be chatty and make friends, or leave y'all alone, whichever is preferred. We'll cover the cost of your campsite for the night.

My wife and I are hiking the HST starting 9/3. We're coming up from Los Angeles and we'll be arriving at Lodgepole around 10:30 AM on 9/2 via the shuttle from Visalia. Our car is going to be parked at Whitney Portal for our exit. If all the 9/2 HST quota space isn't filled up when we get to Lodgepole on 9/2 (doubtful), they'll let us hit the trail as soon as we arrive. But realistically, we're going to have to camp for a night so we can get in line for a permit first thing in the morning on 9/3.

Alternately, if anyone has any other suggestions for us (short of getting an Alta permit and hiking in for the night - no permits avail, or taking the shuttle back down to Visalia and then back up on 9/3...), please let me know

Thanks!
chris

(edited for clarity)
Last edited by outofstep on Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jim F
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Lodgepole tent site possibly needed - Saturday 9/2

Post by Jim F »

Hi,

I am doing the High Sierra Trail soon, too.

What shuttle back down to Visalia are you talking about?

Jim
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

I'd disperse camp on National Forest land. See this document.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
outofstep
Topix Newbie

Post by outofstep »

c9h13no3 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:56 am I'd disperse camp on National Forest land. See this document.
Thanks for the suggestion, but making that work would be a transportation challenge. Normally dispersed camping is our default, but because of the travel logistics for the HST we're not going to have a car, so our options are limited to places we can get to along the SEKI shuttle route.
outofstep
Topix Newbie

Post by outofstep »

Jim F wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:48 am Hi,

I am doing the High Sierra Trail soon, too.

What shuttle back down to Visalia are you talking about?

Jim
Hi Jim--

There is a free in-park SEKI shuttle

And the Sequoia Shuttle to/from Visalia that connects at Giant Forest Museum that's only $10/person each way. There are 3 morning shuttles that depart from Visalia to go up to SEKI, and 3 afternoon/early evening shuttles that depart from Giant Forest and head back down to Visalia

When are you doing the HST?
Jim F
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Jim F »

Outofstep,

Thanks for the info on the Sequoia Shuttle. I had the incorrect impression that it was not operating this summer. I have used it many times in the past.
I hope to start hiking from Crescent Meadow this Wednesday afternoon (Aug 30), as the weather looks reasonable for the next week. Monday September 4 is another possibility for the start. I am currently working on plans to get back to Visalia from Whitney Portal.

Jim
outofstep
Topix Newbie

Post by outofstep »

Jim--

There was a Transdev strike affecting all the shuttles but thankfully that recently got resolved. Back in business

We're leaving our car at Whitney Portal so we have some flexibility on our exit in case we move faster or slower than expected, and also because we'll be stinky coming off the trail. We're picking up a rental car at Avis in Ridgecrest, driving both cars to WP and leaving our car there, then driving the rental car to Visalia and returning it at the Avis in Visalia. Staying the night at a hotel and taking the shuttle up into the park

chris