Gap Between Royce and Feather

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
ctflower
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Gap Between Royce and Feather

Post by ctflower »

Curious if anyone has info (current or general) regarding the gap between Royce and Feather Peaks. I've seen a handful of photos from afar, but not with enough detail to assess the complexity.
Untitled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
druid
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Gap Between Royce and Feather

Post by druid »

I have no first-hand knowledge of this pass, but since nobody else has posted a reply, I'll take a stab. How are you with 45+ degree slopes and steeply angled snow? You can see the average slope angle at the top of the pass using the 'slope angle shading' feature of the Caltopo map you posted. The sentinel hub satellite view of the snow cover requires a paid Caltopo subscription, but the latest report from Sept 13 shows snow on both sides of the pass, particularly on the north side, where there is snow most of the way down to the Royce Lake below, which only in the last week has finally (mostly) thawed.

The satellite photo doesn't show this, but I would not be surprised if there were still a cornice on the north side of the pass that you would need to be prepared to "gundersen" your way over. All in all this is not something I would personally be interested in attempting this year, but then again I'm not as intrepid as some of the other members of this forum.
oddtiger
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by oddtiger »

It's filled with snow on the north side in early season. You can climb up with axe and crampons. You should be able to find more info when you search FEATHER/ROYCE SADDLE
wildlandexplorer
Topix Newbie

Post by wildlandexplorer »

I haven't been over that one but I've been on both sides of it. I have a couple photos taken from a distance. August 2022.
I pulled this from my own youtube trip video. I make some commentary on the video that from my perspective, it looked like a challenging pass from afar. Also I think you are going to encounter far more snow this year vs. prior.

Shot taken from the top of Royce Pass. Looking NW, your 'gap' is straight ahead; unfortunately I couldn't capture a full view from that angle.
Royce Lake NW Aspect.jpg
Here is a shot shot of the Feather/Royce 'gap' from the approach on up to Feather Pass / Feather Peak looking northeast. The GAP is basically dead ahead in the photo.
Feather Pass N Aspect.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ctflower
Topix Newbie

Post by ctflower »

Thanks, all. Appreciate the feedback.

@Wildlandexplorer, I think your video was where I saw the clearest look at the northern section of the pass/gap.

This may be an effort for another year. I was looking for a creative way to get from Royce through Feather and down into the Bears, but the saddle to the south may be a smarter play.
jimmyjamhikes
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by jimmyjamhikes »

I'll add another image, this one from August 9, 2017, when conditions were more likely to be similar to now.