Review: ULA Catalyst

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Review: ULA Catalyst

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I bought this pack in Logan on my way to the Wind Rivers this summer. (trip reports will be posted in the Beyond Sierra section). The pack is ULA's largest capacity pack. They also have a new version made of lighter material and with a lid. I could not justify the extra cost. I was a bit concerned because I like removable lids on packs. The standard Catalyst is a roll top, but can be folded over to close, which is what I used. ULA packs are somewhat "component" packs- you select a main body, then waist belt and straps. I ended up with the small Catalyst, small waistbelt and small J-straps. I also tried the S-straps but liked the J-straps better. The pack capacity comes from being wider instead of taller, which is great for short people. The bottom part is wider so my bear can fit horizontally with room to spare. I put my sleeping pad in first, then the bear can, then the tent which also needs width to accomadate the end-poles. Then sleeping bag, clothes on top with a zip container for what I would put in a lid.

There are large, deep outside pockets for water bottle, fishing rod, Crocks, bear spray and smallish hip pockets for camera, sunglasses, and lunch.

The back pocket was perfect for platypus 2-L water containers. Then I put my extra folded foam sleeping pad on back that had stretchy straps.

The capacity is large enough that I do not have to pack precisely. Compression straps work well to cinch it smaller. I fold it over the maximum so there is plenty of room for more gear if needed.

At first, I was worried about the foam back pad which is very basic. It was a bit stiff but became more comfortable with use. I take a small foam sit-pad which I stuck between me and the pack. Not that it was necessary, but it was a good place to carry it anyway.

It sits up by itself when I put it on the ground which is nice and well balanced.

My only complaint so far is that the shoulder straps on the "small" pack are still too wide apart. If I use the sternum strap, I can bring them closer.

I also bought a medium pack cover, which has not worked out well, mainly because it is so slippery that it does not stay in place. I think I can fix that with some Velcro or just paint some seam seal on the edges so it sticks to the pack better.

Internet review below:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... i=89978449 
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Review: ULA Catalyst

Post by JWreno »

I did the JMT twice over the years with the Catalyst. We own 3 of them and one of my brothers owns another. I liked that we could carry the Bearikade Expedition inside vertically. We carried 11 days of food on Horseshoe Meadows to MTR leg of the JMT trips. The packs have held up well over the years. Bought the first in 2007. My son and 72 year brother used the Catalyst for a 7 day trip a couple of weeks ago.

I am currently using the Z-Pack Arc Haul 60 with a shoulder strap system removed from my old Osprey. I am getting older and decided a little more shoulder padding helps with the comfort.

My wife and I decided we are now longer interested in doing 11 days of food without a resupply. As we age, less weight means more enjoyment.
Jeff
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

There is a long review of the ULA Catalyst here on Topix from 2019 for those interested:

https://www.highsierratopix.com/communi ... hp?t=20052

I have had a Catalyst for the past 3 years and really like it a lot. It is my go to pack for longer trips and spring when need more gear for snow and cold. A BV475 fits very easily horizontally, etc.
For summer and less gear I use a Gossamer Gear Mariposa, which is only 2 pounds and carries a lot for a smallish pack.
M.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I had forgotten about that thread! And I even made several posts. :o Thanks for finding it. Now that I have used a Catalyst, it all makes more sense.

ULA has a new version of the Catalyst that made with lighter material and has a top lid. I really liked it, but it was just too expensive for my budget. Now that I have used a pack without a lid, I can make it work. I just use a very light weight zip-bag (only a few ounces) packed like a lid and put it in the top before I fold the roll-top over. The few things I need to access throughout the day go in the side pockets.

Perhaps the new Catalyst has more space. The Bearikade Weekender fits easily horizontally at any location in the pack. I like it at the bottom best. I fold my sleeping pad so that it cradles the bear can. I tried other locations, but the bottom was the most comfortable and stable. I like that the pack is wide, and shorter because I am short. I met another gal on the trail this summer who also was short and she had a Catalyst that she liked. Same reason I do, I no longer have to bump my head into the pack! The width does make the pack less suitable for ski touring.

Another thing I like is that it IS basic and simple. I am not fond of too many pockets, straps, or any internal dividers. On my previous packs I actually cut a lot of straps off.

Since I bought the pack "on the run" and had not looked closely at the specs, I did not realize that I could bend the stays. There are a few other items on the pack I have no idea what they are for. I guess I should read more about the pack.

Years ago I experimented with a few UL trips of 7-8 days using my climbing day-pack. I really cut back on everything, bivy sack only. No water shoes. No fishing gear. Minimal food. Illegally went without a bear can. I was pretty miserable. I hid in the woods a lot while sneaking through Dusy Basin without a bear can. Granted, today there are lighter versions of gear than available then. Conclusion: I am NOT a UL backpacker.