TR: Lyell Fork (9-12 through 9-16)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bwd
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

TR: Lyell Fork (9-12 through 9-16)

Post by bwd »

On 9-12 a friend and I set out for Yosemite with a Rafferty Creek permit. We got burritos from a place in Oakdale (Taqueria La Agave) that turned out to be quite delicious and hit the trail early afternoon. Vogelsang looked great.
IMG_3698.jpg
The next day we headed towards the Lyell Fork of the Merced based in part on what we'd read from the past HST meetup there. I was struggling with a cold but we made it up in time for some afternoon rain.
IMG_3743.jpg
The storm only dropped a few droplets but then produced some fantastic alpenglow.
IMG_6466.jpg
The next morning we hiked up to a hike point above Lake 10951 (I think! I have our high point as 37.71751, -119.27723).
IMG_3750.jpg
IMG_3752.jpg
IMG_3747.jpg
This Yosemite place is pretty nice! We headed down from there and I found the lake at the meetup location all the more impressive from the foresty nook at the north end.
IMG_6475.jpg
We started to head back. After a night at Lake Merced HSC (spent around a fire with an HST-acquainted gentleman from Susanville, Mike, who taught us about wildfires after a career in the USFS; Mike, if you're reading it was a true pleasure to meet you!) we hiked back to Vogelsang. On the way back, we really enjoyed the views of the Clark Range.
IMG_3753.jpg
A question: can one get up there from the Merced side? There seemed to be a few drainages that might allow access past the shield wall but it was hard to know. From there, we had a truly epic afternoon in the Fletcher Creek canyon.
IMG_3754.jpg
We got back to Vogelsang just before a small storm but then had a wonderful afternoon exploring the higher lakes. Upper Fletcher is a gem.
IMG_6480.jpg
IMG_6491.jpg
IMG_6481.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bwd on Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bwd
Topix Acquainted

Re: Lyell Fork

Post by bwd »

From Upper Fletcher we went to Hanging Basket. See the rim up there?
IMG_6483.jpg
We scrambled up and got some spectacular views of the lake and then the high country to the north (I'm assuming Mt Conness and environs thereof?).
IMG_3767.jpg
After waking up with a sleeping bag stiff with frozen condensation, we returned home the next morning after a stop at the brewery above the Priest Grade. It was a trip I'll long remember with mostly ok weather, perfect views, and better company.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Lyell Fork (9-12 through 9-16)

Post by Wandering Daisy »

What do you mean "can you get up there from Merced side"? Where is "there"?

I have dropped down the creek that drains the Lyell Fork all the way to the trail from Merced Lake. Did it in the late fall- basically walked down slabs that would be covered by waterfalls earlier. Steep slabs and some bushwhacking. Not sure if that is what you are asking?
bwd
Topix Acquainted

Post by bwd »

Sorry for the confusion. I meant from the Merced up towards Quartzite/Clark/Grey Peaks. From our vantage point on the north side of the Merced it wasn't clear if you could hike up any of those drainages. Looking at some maps now I am guessing you can go up Red Peak Fork but I don't think we had a view quite that far.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Great photos, thanks for the report!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

The Lyell Fork is special and it must be special for me to say that given that it doesn't have any fish! That is a magical place.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

giantbrookie wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:20 pm The Lyell Fork is special and it must be special for me to say that given that it doesn't have any fish! That is a magical place.
Hi GB,

Is this true that there are no fish in the Lyell Fork? Just curious. Thanks.

Texan
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

texan wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:51 pm
giantbrookie wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:20 pm The Lyell Fork is special and it must be special for me to say that given that it doesn't have any fish! That is a magical place.
Hi GB,

Texan
Sad but true. I think Beck mentions this in his book (ie that Lyell Fork is fishless) and I took a good look in those lakes (included taking a bunch of blank casts) and connecting streams back in 1994 and saw no reason to dispute Beck's assessment. It is a gorgeous trailless place to wander in, though.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

giantbrookie wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:47 pm
texan wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:51 pm
Hi GB,

Texan
Sad but true. I think Beck mentions this in his book (ie that Lyell Fork is fishless) and I took a good look in those lakes (included taking a bunch of blank casts) and connecting streams back in 1994 and saw no reason to dispute Beck's assessment. It is a gorgeous trailless place to wander in, though.
Thanks GB for letting me know. Been by that area a long time ago when I did the Muir Trail as a teen and it was beautiful but my goal now is to fish as much as possible. No fish, no visit.

Texan(Mike)