Cross country to Tehipite Valley via lewis creek

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Crick7200
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Cross country to Tehipite Valley via lewis creek

Post by Crick7200 »

Historical map shows a trail along eastside of silver creek.
Im sure it’s bushwhacking hell but likely dont need ropes.
Am i wrong?

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=36.8531 ... =13&b=1900.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Nothing wrong with trying this out. But I think taking ropes to rappel and using prussiks are not a good idea unless you have extensive experience in this. You can end up in a lot of trouble simply with rappelling. Experience in setting good anchors is critical. There are also better ascending devises than prussiks. Maybe loppers are a better idea? :D I know a fellow who did a route known for horrible bushwhacking and he simply cleared his own way.

Once down there exactly how were you then going to get out? You need to consider river crossings if you intend to go out via Simpson Meadows and the trail.

And why? There certainly are other ways to get to Tehipite Valley.
Crick7200
Topix Novice

Post by Crick7200 »

For the wild adventure. Was thinking of doing in oct, return up tehipte valley to simpson out over the **** back down to roads end. All things considered probably just go in from rancheria or down from cartridge via bishop.
Thanks everyone for hearing out this idea.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

The challenge and whimsy of it sounds great but reading Bob Burd's 2011 post is an excellent cautionary reality check. (Thanks Druid). Buckthorn is no joke.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Note that Burd's report is for a day-hike. They were not carrying full packs. These guys are also well known for their speed. I figure a more average backpacker on a multi-day trip would go much slower.
Crick7200
Topix Novice

Post by Crick7200 »

Yeah thanks druid. I spent some time reading through criteria for postings on this site,ill come more correct next time.
This site is a great source of sierra wisdom, want to pay it the respect it deserves. Thanks agian everyone.
hurricaniac
Topix Acquainted

Post by hurricaniac »

Tehipite Valley via the Rancheria Crk. TH is punishing enough.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

I was thinking about this a while ago, getting from Gorge of Despair down into Tehipite, just for "fun" and without technical travel (to save weight and go solo). Having been to the Gorge of Despair and Tehipite each a few times, as well as surrounding ravines, hillsides and ridges, the most practical route I could figure was crossing the divide by Harrington, then descending halfway down Silver Creek, and then doing the final bit via that old abandoned trail you linked to.

All that said, I've still never tried so it's still a mystery. I vote you go for it and take lots of pictures and report back! Pretty please!
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

If SSSDave could be persuaded to give us ludites a detailed google vegetation map for the route...
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

limpingcrab wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:52 pm I was thinking about this a while ago, getting from Gorge of Despair down into Tehipite, just for "fun" and without technical travel (to save weight and go solo). Having been to the Gorge of Despair and Tehipite each a few times, as well as surrounding ravines, hillsides and ridges, the most practical route I could figure was crossing the divide by Harrington, then descending halfway down Silver Creek, and then doing the final bit via that old abandoned trail you linked to.

All that said, I've still never tried so it's still a mystery. I vote you go for it and take lots of pictures and report back! Pretty please!
I've looked at that slope (near Silver Creek) while down near Little Tehipite Valley, and across from the look out before descending down. Slope angle looks not so bad there. It looks like you could go up and meet the ridge, continue just before the Silver Turret then descend to easy slopes.

Looked at top down too from Harrington. Although can't see all that much. BTW, Harrington is a wonderful little obscure peak. 1st photo Silver Turret is way off to the left (out of view).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.