Sierra Camp lottery - winners?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Blastomatic
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Sierra Camp lottery - winners?

Post by Blastomatic »

After three years of bad luck, I finally had an application for the high Sierra camps go through!

I applied for 'Night 1 Glen Aulin - Night 2 May Lake' and 'Night 1 May Lake - Night 2 Glen Aulin' and got Glen Aulin for both, which is easily adaptable since there's so much delicious low-hanging fruit, metaphorically speaking, around Glen Aulin.

The amenities provided -also- allowed me to convince my wife to go camping in the backcountry.
So if you've got a direct line to Satan, ask him if he likes how cold it is down there today. :littledevil:

Has anyone else gotten lucky with the draw this year? Or only a little lucky and you're finding a way to adapt?
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Sierra Camp lottery - winners?

Post by The Other Tom »

Blastomatic wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:38 am So if you've got a direct line to Satan, ask him if he likes how cold it is down there today. :littledevil:
:lol:
dbargaehr1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dbargaehr1 »

Blastomatic wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:38 am After three years of bad luck, I finally had an application for the high Sierra camps go through!

I applied for 'Night 1 Glen Aulin - Night 2 May Lake' and 'Night 1 May Lake - Night 2 Glen Aulin' and got Glen Aulin for both, which is easily adaptable since there's so much delicious low-hanging fruit, metaphorically speaking, around Glen Aulin.

The amenities provided -also- allowed me to convince my wife to go camping in the backcountry.
So if you've got a direct line to Satan, ask him if he likes how cold it is down there today. :littledevil:

Has anyone else gotten lucky with the draw this year? Or only a little lucky and you're finding a way to adapt?
legitimately curious if they'll be open this year, as like you said - 3 years of poor luck. someone else on HST posted in a thread about Aramark being annoyed with running them.

my planned trip in late July is near the Vogelsang HSC.
Blastomatic
Topix Novice

Post by Blastomatic »

dbargaehr1 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:21 am
Blastomatic wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:38 am After three years of bad luck, I finally had an application for the high Sierra camps go through!

legitimately curious if they'll be open this year, as like you said - 3 years of poor luck. someone else on HST posted in a thread about Aramark being annoyed with running them.

Them not being open is pretty high in my mind. First because I don't want to get my hopes up - and second I've heard tales of refunds not going out when such a thing happens.
dbargaehr1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by dbargaehr1 »

Blastomatic wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:54 pm
dbargaehr1 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:21 am

Them not being open is pretty high in my mind. First because I don't want to get my hopes up - and second I've heard tales of refunds not going out when such a thing happens.
Well fingers crossed for you that they open, then. I'm still trying to convince my wife to join me on a backcountry trip!
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

I have co-workers as me about an easy first backpacking trip. I recommend a two nigher to the Glen Aulin backpacking camp and a day hike down the river to Waterwheel Falls and back. Several non-backpackers have borrowed equipment and enjoyed the easy trip with great views.

I am fortunate to have a spouse that enjoys long backpacking trips. We have done JMT+ 3 times over the years and another 15 or so 5-10 day trips over the years. We are retired this summer and plan to section hike portions of the PCT over the next several years.
Jeff