Info request: best route to Merriam Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
grampy
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Info request: best route to Merriam Lake

Post by grampy »

Last August, I did an out and back trip from Pine Creek Pass trailhead. One area I planned to visit was Royce Lakes, and I did (and it went fine). But the first part of my itinerary was to visit Merriam and LaSalle Lakes, which I never actually got to.
I went over Pine Creek Pass and down the upper part of French Canyon. When I got to the outlet creek coming down from Merriam (which doesn’t seem to have a name, but let’s call it Merriam Creek), it was running deep and fast. I tried to cross in a couple spots, but just couldn’t do it, so I turned back and continued to Royce Lakes.

So, here’s my question. When I plan a re-do of the Merriam approach (ultimately, for a Bear Lakes Basin visit), would I be better off starting from North Lake (over Piute Pass) to get to the Merriam cutoff, vs the Pine Creek Pass route ? Doing Piute Pass would be 2 miles longer but 1300’ less elevation gain getting there (vs Pine Creek). Either way, I’d plan for an Italy Pass / Pine Creek exit for end of trip, which would involve a car shuttle; this point doesn’t concern me.

I’m wondering about relative difficulty of creek crossings as well as just considering the relative hiking difficulty, although the high water issue might be moot if this winter stays super-dry.

Thanks in advance for any insight on this.
druid
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Info request: best route to Merriam Lake

Post by druid »

There are use trails to Merriam Lake on both sides of "Merriam Creek". Both trails are shown on CalTopo. I've taken only the "uphill" (NE) of the two trails. It's a little steep but manageable. I vaguely remember that we did have to be on the lookout for the junction with the French Canyon trail. CalTopo doesn't show the uphill trail extending all the way to Merriam Lake but it's easy cross country to the lake from where the designated use trail route ends. When we did it crossing the creek higher up wasn't an issue but I think you could probably also make it all the way to the lake without ever needing to cross.
druid
Topix Regular

Post by druid »

Looking at the map more closely, I see that it shows the upper trail crossing and then immediately recrossing the creek around 10200 feet. I have no memory of this, which probably means that we just stepped across without even getting our feet wet. Which is to say that in a more typical year than 2023, none of the route choices should present any issue. There also might be a way to avoid the creek crossings altogether, but I haven't attempted this personally.
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Post by Bishop_Bob »

I'm planning to go to Merriam Lake this coming season and have opted for the route over Piute Pass. In fact, I went this way a couple of years ago (via Puppet Pass) and found it reasonably mellow. I haven't been over Pine Creek Pass in more than 2 decades, but as I recall, it's a steeper and rockier climb, and that view of the mine is a bit of a turnoff (to me).
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have always done the downstream side of the creek. It is steep but a good trail. I think you could even take a horse up that trail, at least to the flat where the trail ends. I think it may depend on what else you want to do-- Piute Pass and Humphreys Basin have tons of wonderful side-trips/day-hikes you can do. I suspect that permits for Pine Creek may be easier to get. The crossing of Pine Creek can be difficult early season too. Personally, I prefer Pine Creek and then loop through Bear Basin and Granite Park. Early season you still have wading coming in Piute Pass but rarely dangerous crossings. Just going after peak flows will eliminate stream crossings as an issue, regardless of trailhead.

You could also go in from Florence Lake and up Piute Creek, but this is not very efficient, just an option if you want something different.
grampy
Topix Expert

Post by grampy »

Thanks all for your input.
If I can get someone to go with me (with an extra car), I’ll do the Piute Pass entry (Italy Pass exit) if I can get the permit. Otherwise in and out via Pine Creek (which I did last year). I’m okay with doing it again but would prefer Piute so as to be doing something different.
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

The trail on the upper (Pine Creek pass) side is steep in parts, but it's still a trail. There's no need to cross the creek. I prefer the Pine Ck access (it's also easier to get the permit), as it's quicker in and out.
Enigmagic
Topix Regular

Post by Enigmagic »

druid wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:30 am Looking at the map more closely, I see that it shows the upper trail crossing and then immediately recrossing the creek around 10200 feet. I have no memory of this, which probably means that we just stepped across without even getting our feet wet. Which is to say that in a more typical year than 2023, none of the route choices should present any issue. There also might be a way to avoid the creek crossings altogether, but I haven't attempted this personally.
I think this was just an error when I added the trail. I don’t recall crossing it nor do the older quads show this… so it is “fixed” now. the next time Caltopo refreshes the old trail will remain on the north side
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

Bishop_Bob wrote:
I'm planning to go to Merriam Lake this coming season and have opted for the route over Piute Pass. In fact, I went this way a couple of years ago (via Puppet Pass) and found it reasonably mellow.
I'm with Bob, over Puppet Pass. It's more of a high route, with a beaut view, easy crossing, and Tomahawk and Mesa Lakes are themselves great destinations. I hope we meet you in there Grampy and Bob.

100_2974.JPG
Tomahawk Lake.

100_3117.JPG
Mesa Lake:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
grampy
Topix Expert

Post by grampy »

Enigmagic wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:31 pm
I think this was just an error when I added the trail. I don’t recall crossing it nor do the older quads show this… so it is “fixed” now. the next time Caltopo refreshes the old trail will remain on the north side
Are you talking about inputting map data in OSM, or directly into CalTopo ? Either way, it’s cool that you can do that.

I saw the “uphill” / North side trail on the map when I was there, but it looked to me like there was no trail (or at least very bush-wacky). Apparently I just didn’t look nearly hard enough. Thanks Enigmatic and thegib for the verification that it exists.

That said, viewing it on Google Earth looks like I would still prefer the “downhill” / South side trail heading to Merriam, based on terrain. But then, G.E. sometimes introduces terrain distortions that don’t exist in reality.

And thank you Bishop_Bob and Harlen for the input on the Piute Pass option; in particular Ian, those lake photos are gorgeous and really make me want to visit them.

Now that Vee Lake has been mentioned as the 2024 HST Meetup location, I just need to strategize whether a west side (Bear Ridge / Bear Creek) entry might be best, and save Merriam for a separate Piute/Puppet Pass route as a separate trip. Doing Puppet Pass and those lakes are probably too ambitious to include if I am aiming for the meetup at Vee.
Thanks again !