2024 HST Meetup

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Lenier
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 2024 HST Meetup

Post by Lenier »

Wasn't able to get that week off this year, but this sounds like so much fun. I'll have to make 2025 a priority!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

That's too bad, but hopefully, next year's meetup will be in a week that you can get off. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wsp_scott »

I can't make this year's meetup (going to be in WY).

I'd love it if next year is about the same time (end of July/beginning of Aug). I'll put it on my calendar now :)
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I got a permit today, going in from Bear Diversion, a route I have never done. The meet-up will be at the end of the 9-day trip, so not 100% I will make it, but plan to. July 24 is day 7 of my permit. Please let me know if arriving on the 23 is better. Many options for the first 6 days, and what I do will depend on creek crossings more than anything else.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

We will arrive on either the evening of the 24th or mid-day on the 25th, Daisy. We are probably going up to Orchid's small outlet lake beforehand. :nod:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Re. access to the Meetup, does anyone know about the Horton Lakes trailhead? I can't get through to the White Mtn. Ranger Station, and my question is about the road in. How close can you get before it's impassable for a 2wd vehicle? In the past, I've had luck thrashing through 4wd roads, but I don't know this one. It's off Buttermilk road. I know there are still permits open from Edison area, but I like the idea of using this new route, and passing through H.Basin and French Canyon. Thanks.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Just now reading this meet-up thread. Have been to Vee Lake 4 times and 10 times up Bear Creek. So one of my favorite destinations, all of which have been via the Bear Diversion Dam road I've managed to drive all but once in Subaru's. Watched that Youtube BDD Road video and will add some years it is more difficult in the difficult steeper uphill sections when spinning tire holes have been dug. Some scary narrow sections one does not want to meet other vehicles, especially at night. From the dam with my loads, that is 3 day effort each way to/from Vee Lake. So usually that meant a long 10 or 11 day trip to make base camping there worthwhile.

Although I'd like to meet some members herein, don't expect to make the meet-up mainly because it is too much strenuous effort for this aging guy and as a photographer, already have several strong images from my 4x5 view camera years in that basin. If I ever go up Bear Creek again, it would be into the South Fork basin. I'm in decent shape after another Tahoe ski season and recently Coast Range spring photography. (thumbnails below) But last year felt my body's reaction to the one backpack I did was a sign I needed to ease up. Also have an inguinal hernia mesh surgery to go through likely next month that I don't want to re-tear.

https://www.davidsenesac.com/2023_Trip_ ... 023-6.html

https://www.youtube.com/@davids1586

Most visitors camp about the sunny bright flat along the north side of Vee Lake. There are also spots on the peninsula and south inlet stream. None of these sites has trees or shade. Our preferred camp spots were at the first topo "R" in SIERRA, about 150 feet above the lake.

Someone mentioned the difficult JMT creek crossing (at 9.5k). Coming in from BDD one doesn't cross the creek going to the East Fork of Bear Creek basin. And neither need to cross the East Fork on the way up that tedious cross country route.

Spring2024a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John_K
Topix Newbie

Post by John_K »

maverick wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:39 pm
it will be a meet and greet, three to four-hour planned cocktail hour, so you won't miss out. :partyman:
I'm curious, but I'm also sober and in recovery. How heavy is the drinking at events like these? No judgment, it's just not a vibe I click with any more. Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Cocktail hour is being used as a metaphor more than anything else. :)

Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Maverick, in your original post your wrote: "... 7/26 (Fri) is our full day ...". I,e., group socializing the eve of 7/26. Is that still the plan?

Your 4/11 post seems to indicate earlier. If it's earlier, I'll need to modify my permit.